Are Reef Tanks For Newbies?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jmeeter

Reaction score
Been a while since I've had a fish tank, but would love to have a go with a marine/reef tank. Are these difficult to setup/maintain?

I am quite of the initial cost of setting one up, but I just want to know if they are easier/harder to maintain. ;)

I have a 29gallon planted FW and a 37 gallon reef and the reef is easier to maintain. I don't have a lot of corals, though. But it's really simple, and not a lot of work. The initial cost is more, but I get more enjoyment out of my saltwater than I do my freshwater. Besides, you don't have you have a reef. You could have a fish only, or a fishonly with live rock.

For more info, try asking in the Marine section down near the bottom of the forum index.

Yea if your a newbie research as much as possible and then maybe get one of those smaller already set up ones. I hear they are a newbie easy.

just to be absolutley clear, if you want a reef tank, i.e. saltwater with corals then yes it is more difficult that keeping a tropical tank.

long term maintenance is generally a little easier because people set them up more as an eco-system than a tropical tank. however to do this you do need a fair amount of scientific knowledge of the various aspects of water chemistry and a big open wallet!

I don't mean to discourage you, i find keeping saltwater tanks rewarding and enjoyable and it's perfectly possible for a beginner to fishkeeping to keep one. however you should be prepared for a lot of research before hand and a lot of expense.

as others have said though it may be appropriate to start with a fish only set up and then work up to adding corals later.

there's a saltwater section of the forum here, so go check it out for a load of info

Not to difficult but work out a lot more expensive

Go for the biggest tank you can

A big marine tank is easier to maintain than a small one

Not much more difficult then a FW tank once you know what you are doing (more work involved and more sensitive though) it is a hell of a lot more expensive though and I wouldn't recommend it unless you do a fair amount of research first. You need to understand the water chemistry which is a bit more complicated then FW and there is a lot more research involved when stocking it.

I spent about 8 months researching marine tanks before I started. I have had mine running for about 9 months now and while it is not as complicated as I thought it was going to be it does reuqire more thought and care then a common FW setup.

It is worth it though :) and a fish only with live rock is really not much different to a normal FW setup (its only when you add corals that it can get complicated).

A bigger tank is better and a smaller tank does not mean it will be cheaper (My marine nano to date has cost about £600-700 so far and it is only about 23g in total).

As mentioned, do your homework. Read lots of books and subscribe to lots of reef forums. There may even be a local "reefy get together" in your area.

http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/ is a good, if not a bit daunting site to try.....there's a good beginners section.

Ask lots of questions....no matter how stupid the questions seem....the only stupid question is the one you don't ask !!! Visit different lfs and be a right pain in the bum to them....well maybe not that much but ask them questions about setting up, stocking and maintaining a reef.

You will get a host of conflicting advice and it will probably be your descision to pick through the bones. Generally, none of them are right, none of them are wrong.

Good luck, it's a fascinating, all be it expensive hobby

Andy

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back