Are my fish fighting or flirting HELP

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ellie Potts

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I recently got 2 Siamese algae eaters. I'm almost positive they're the real thing (if not I drove an hour for nothing), but today I noticed them doing a weird dance/fighting thing. This is not my video but I found it on Youtube and it is exactly what my fish are doing. Video

They don't breed much in captivity so I figured that wouldn't be it but neither of them have gotten hurt either. This seems to be a common thing for keepers considering how peaceful the fish are supposed to be. Do I need to separate them? Anyone know what they're doing?

I recently got 2 Siamese algae eaters. I'm almost positive they're the real thing (if not I drove an hour for nothing), but today I noticed them doing a weird dance/fighting thing. This is not my video but I found it on Youtube and it is exactly what my fish are doing. Video

They don't breed much in captivity so I figured that wouldn't be it but neither of them have gotten hurt either. This seems to be a common thing for keepers considering how peaceful the fish are supposed to be. Do I need to separate them? Anyone know what they're doing?
I have no experience of keeping them - looking on SeriouslyFish the following is mentioned...
'They are shoaling, rather than schooling, fishes which develop a distinct pecking order and are best-maintained in a group of six or more since weaker individuals may be bullied incessantly if smaller numbers are kept.'

I think you're good just to keep an eye on them and if it noticeably gets out of hand, and its clear that one is being 'bullied incessantly', then might need to look at rehoming or adding more.

What is the length of your tank?

I have no experience of keeping them - looking on SeriouslyFish the following is mentioned...
'They are shoaling, rather than schooling, fishes which develop a distinct pecking order and are best-maintained in a group of six or more since weaker individuals may be bullied incessantly if smaller numbers are kept.'

I think you're good just to keep an eye on them and if it noticeably gets out of hand, and its clear that one is being 'bullied incessantly', then might need to look at rehoming or adding more.

What is the length of your tank?
48 inches - it's a standard 55 gallon. I have a backup 20 long if they need it, but it seems to be a mutual thing

Most reactions

Back