Are Bettas Picky Eaters?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

That does seem a pretty good difference. I think he'll take them eventually :) I'm sure he'll love those treats tomorrow!

My betta died last year after a heat wave in here that nearly boiled his tank(next to the window unfortunately) but he loved New Life Spectrum 1mm pellets. They have the Thera A version which is loaded with garlic as well.  It's also made from whole fish and not fish skin/bones, etc... but I think it's a bit better than the Omega one.

He'd jump out the water for them and with pellets it's easy to measure how much they eat. I spoiled mine so I had to feed one by one which he gulped and chewed. Here is an old video of him below. I bought him with the dorsal fin damaged like this in case you ask but it never regrew or got worse at the same time.

He was very funny because he appeared to chew his food
smile.png

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT8xvE1Ixq4[/media]

So sorry for your loss Snazy, he was beautiful. My Discord eats the same way!

What a great video Snazy!  He really enjoys his meal.  So sorry you lost him.  

I have not seen the New Life Spectrum food but will look for it as it sounds excellent.

Thanks guys. I really missed him for a good while and couldn't get over it because one gets attached but reading these posts make me want another. His tank is still empty, just cherry shrimp inside that breed like rats.

As for New Life Spectrum. I highly recommend it. I have fed my fish exclusively with it now having 5 tanks and the least result is healthy fish with vibrant colours if food has something to do with it.

3Timz said:
Freeze dried blood worms always worked good for me.

This is really not a good diet for bettas.  Freeze dried foods tend to cause bloating in bettas which are a species that are very prone to this issue. IF they are ever given they should be soaked first and only be given as an occasional treat - not as a meal since they are not very nutritious.

OP -- Bettas can be picky eaters at times.  The thing is to keep on offering the food you want to feed.  If need be, fast for a couple of days and then try again.

Offered Javier defrosted blood worms and brine shrimp yesterday. He gobbled up the worm but showed no interest in the shrimp. I guess there is no accounting for taste!

Wildbetta said:

Freeze dried blood worms always worked good for me.

IF they are ever given they should be soaked first and only be given as an occasional treat - not as a meal since they are not very nutritious.

This! I've been wondering about this and trying to get some answers and since you're the go to foe bettas maybe you can shed some light for me. I occasionally keep hearing that freeze dried isn't nurtririous but the ingredients in mine are nothing but good things so I don't understand why people keep saying it isn't good. 

Maybe the process of freeze drying affects the nutritional value??

And if freeze dried foods tend to cause bloat, I would not feed them to Javier no matter how good the nutrition.

Yea when I bought it I didn't know it was basically a no no so I'm going to get frozen when I get some money. I just thought ut was the same until I've read some stuff on here.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back