Aquascaper 600

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Wow loads of info here thanks guys :)

I did have a non return valve on the airline but when ever I had to top up my drop checker the line was really high up and a bit awkward to do so I put it further down. So this time I put it lower down nearer the regulator so it didnt cause the same problem I think the volume of water I got in the tube was because the diffuser wasnt 100% tightened so I got that sorted.

To avoid this problem my idea was if this one didnt work was to look at an all in one unit like the Tropica one which has a bubble counter and non return valve included. I have looked at the inline ones before (I'd say more of the top guys use these than diffusers now) but I've just wanted to try and use the kit I have for now lol.

In this tank I've been using quite low Co2 and its given me good growth while balancing the fish needs and as long as I keep up on maintenance - weekly changes, clean carpet, filters etc algae wasnt too bad. The issues been when I've lapsed on something or mis-timed something but think I can get in the swing of things now :)

Wills

Indeed this is one of the things I don't really understand about peoples beef with Co2 the point is that its forcing your plants to respire to the point of pearling which is when the water cant absorb any more oxygen. I'm sure theres more to the science than that but sometimes Co2 injection is just presented as pumping in a gas for no reason.
the reason the plants are realising oxygen is because they are using the carbon from the CO2 along with what ever firts or organic are in the water to grow, The waste from that is oxygen which is not needed.

With regards to killing the algea in the tank have you tried Liquid carbon? I know some people dont like it but it has been known to kill off various algea, I have used in the past and didnt get any side affects.

4E7451BF-0B2D-45B0-93BD-70811F5DF8FE_1_105_c.jpeg

So about a week since some replanting - mixed results... the Co2 system is now working but my timers are messed up so not had it on everyday. My carpet is really struggling loads of algae, and spots where its just failing right now.

I'm reluctant to do much else with this until the tank is moved in approx 5-6 weeks... If I can get my timers sorted I could take most of the carpet out and try something 'easy' like Monte Carlo? I think 2 pots would do coverage for most of the space.

Wills

Wills

Sorry I don't have time to read back through at the moment but is your light centered in your tank? And is it "high" powered light. Also are you dosing ferts and is that aquasoil.

Dwarf sag is normally pretty hardy in my experience. It can however have issues sometimes with too much light though. If you have a pretty strong light that is centered in the tank it may be worth moving it back a little to drop the light at the front a bit.

If you have high light and abundant ferts from aquasoil and dosing but your CO2 is up and down then you will get alage problems. I would suggest making sure your CO2 is working well or reducing light intensity and ferts a bit to see if that helps.

I could be wrong but it seems like it's a "high tech" style tank minus CO2 which means it's out of balance.

In my experience high light/co2 setup is an all or nothing. If you don't have it all working together your better going lower lights and ferts or you end up with poor growth and algae issues.

However the tank is looking pretty good still from the photo!

Not updated this in a while and for good reason, nothings really changed. Algae bloom after algae bloom so I've decided to give in tbh.

The tank needs moving in almost exactly 6 weeks and as it is right now I can't leave it like that and I actually think I can make it easier to move if I do it this way. So my current plan is to buy a new substrate which will likely be

https://www.pro-shrimp.co.uk/sand/1923-unipac-limpopo-black-sand-125kg-5027174581307.html

And I will be using this wood structure (currently moddled in broken down my 60F for now - please excuse the mess in the background lol).

A06AD649-F9D3-4B2B-B414-2B4B43849D69_1_105_c.jpeg

At this time I'm going to get some silk plants - does anyone know any good ones? Its only temporary but I want to make sure the fish have cover, I may add some low light moss to the wood for now too and I'll be using some hang on the side clips to start using emergent plants - probably on the back right to blend with the wood that breaks the surface - some plants may get attached here.

At the moment I want to just have a thinish layer of sand but when the tank is put in its final place I want to add a layered substrate to 'grade' the rocks to the sand with a combination of these products.

https://www.pro-shrimp.co.uk/gravel/946-dennerle-natural-gravel-baikal-10-30mm-4001615069105.html
https://www.pro-shrimp.co.uk/gravel/945-dennerle-natural-gravel-baikal-3-8mm-4001615069099.html
https://www.pro-shrimp.co.uk/gravel/3231-unipac-micro-gravel-black-2kg-5027174543077.html

If I find the black sand too black next to my rocks I have some DOOA river sand that I can use to mix with it and create something more natural.

Wills

No idea about silk plants, some can be quite pricey though from what I’ve heard. Worth shopping around and seeing what you like best.

The substrate choices are nice but am not sure what you’re planning though with 3 types of substrate, saying you want to layer them but they will all end up being mixed eventually or is plan doing a scape of some sort to show those substrate in certain areas?

By the way, I’ve used the black micro gravel substrate before for one of my shrimps set ups only, it’s real nice actually. Am a fan of that one tbh.

Shame you’re giving up the co2 high tech due to the algae, I know the exact feeling as I did exactly the same few years ago and had hair algae issue non stop, very disheartening when it isn’t won’t go away no matter what you do.
Looking back now, think my lights were too high and the regulator I used was not the best but you live and learn eh.

So next time you’ll have some more ideas of what to do to see if it works better. Learn from mistakes.

The root wood you have there in pic is real nice, pretty big but makes a nice big statement though. Bet was not that cheap! But good choice.

No idea about silk plants, some can be quite pricey though from what I’ve heard. Worth shopping around and seeing what you like best.

The substrate choices are nice but am not sure what you’re planning though with 3 types of substrate, saying you want to layer them but they will all end up being mixed eventually or is plan doing a scape of some sort to show those substrate in certain areas?

By the way, I’ve used the black micro gravel substrate before for one of my shrimps set ups only, it’s real nice actually. Am a fan of that one tbh.

Shame you’re giving up the co2 high tech due to the algae, I know the exact feeling as I did exactly the same few years ago and had hair algae issue non stop, very disheartening when it isn’t won’t go away no matter what you do.
Looking back now, think my lights were too high and the regulator I used was not the best but you live and learn eh.

So next time you’ll have some more ideas of what to do to see if it works better. Learn from mistakes.

The root wood you have there in pic is real nice, pretty big but makes a nice big statement though. Bet was not that cheap! But good choice.

Its not just the algae, its just that its so unforgiving if something slips and the expense that follows. Its so easy to spend £50-£100 thinking if I just do this bit thats it for a few months lol.

The substrate isnt really layering it will be mainly the sand but around the rocks I'll have some of the gravels with the biggest size near the rocks and the smaller a bit further away I've seen it done a few times and it looks really natural. The amount I'm buying I know I'll have too much which is ok as I can use it in other plans but also top this up over time if I need to.

The wood was actually a bit of a bargain and some lucky finds the two big bits were about £15 each and the three smaller were a group for £10 I didnt have specific plans for them when I got them but knew they were good bits so got them for later :)

Wills

Kind of just writing for a bit of therapy so feel free to skip it :)

I've got a bit more of a solid timeline for where my tank is going and when its moving. Basically over christmas I'm going to be setting up a home office for work and it will be going in there with me ahead of the work which is great - my planned 4 foot will be joining me too (hoping the fish will keep me sane in the isolation lol). The room its going in needs a lot of renovation it has electric but no heating so when the plumber is here to put the radiator in I'm going to get a water feed and waste put in :)

This tank as it stands looks absolutely horrendus, masses of long stringy algae and a green hair algae which coats everything with like a fur - kind of like a moss ball? So for my sanity I need to do something about it. The biggest job is changing the substrate. My first plan was to do a sand substrate and I've bought a bag (though not sure I've got enough...) but I saw an MD Fish Tanks video where he had zipped bags of aquarium soil under the sand to build a bit of height but also help plants a bit which I think could help. So tempted to try that.

I'm absolutely bricking it when it comes to catching the fish, the Gobies and Puffers are pretty likely to try and burrow. I feel I stand a moderate chance when it comes to the Shrimp and Rasbora. Again a tip I've picked up and like from MD is hanging measuring jugs of tank water on the side to put the caught fish in. Urgh really not looking forward to it though.

Final trick I've learned from MD is using a wet dry vac to get substrate out quickly too I have one sitting around so thats going to really help. I'm planning to disconnect my filter fully open the top and drop an airstone into it which should give me a few hours to get everything done.

My plan for the scape is to use the above wood and scrub my rocks, the back right will be built up with rocks so the wood breaks the surface and I can mount either a Peace Lilly or a Monstera. Front left will have some rocks around the base of the wood too with swimming space through the middle. The filter pipes will move to the left and I'm going to put a black background on.

Plant wise I'm going for things like Anubias, Vallisnera (red and narrow), Lagenandras, Crypts (Balanase, Crispulata), some of the big Helanthium species and maybe some Echinodorus plants too. I want to try some bulbs too I've had good luck with Tiger Lotus in the past so I want to try some again and I want to try a Bananna Plant or two too. I want to get some red root floaters for the surface too.

If anyone has any advice for catching the fish lay it on me :)

Wills

Kind of just writing for a bit of therapy so feel free to skip it :)

I've got a bit more of a solid timeline for where my tank is going and when its moving. Basically over christmas I'm going to be setting up a home office for work and it will be going in there with me ahead of the work which is great - my planned 4 foot will be joining me too (hoping the fish will keep me sane in the isolation lol). The room its going in needs a lot of renovation it has electric but no heating so when the plumber is here to put the radiator in I'm going to get a water feed and waste put in :)

This tank as it stands looks absolutely horrendus, masses of long stringy algae and a green hair algae which coats everything with like a fur - kind of like a moss ball? So for my sanity I need to do something about it. The biggest job is changing the substrate. My first plan was to do a sand substrate and I've bought a bag (though not sure I've got enough...) but I saw an MD Fish Tanks video where he had zipped bags of aquarium soil under the sand to build a bit of height but also help plants a bit which I think could help. So tempted to try that.

I'm absolutely bricking it when it comes to catching the fish, the Gobies and Puffers are pretty likely to try and burrow. I feel I stand a moderate chance when it comes to the Shrimp and Rasbora. Again a tip I've picked up and like from MD is hanging measuring jugs of tank water on the side to put the caught fish in. Urgh really not looking forward to it though.

Final trick I've learned from MD is using a wet dry vac to get substrate out quickly too I have one sitting around so thats going to really help. I'm planning to disconnect my filter fully open the top and drop an airstone into it which should give me a few hours to get everything done.

My plan for the scape is to use the above wood and scrub my rocks, the back right will be built up with rocks so the wood breaks the surface and I can mount either a Peace Lilly or a Monstera. Front left will have some rocks around the base of the wood too with swimming space through the middle. The filter pipes will move to the left and I'm going to put a black background on.

Plant wise I'm going for things like Anubias, Vallisnera (red and narrow), Lagenandras, Crypts (Balanase, Crispulata), some of the big Helanthium species and maybe some Echinodorus plants too. I want to try some bulbs too I've had good luck with Tiger Lotus in the past so I want to try some again and I want to try a Bananna Plant or two too. I want to get some red root floaters for the surface too.

Wills
Yay another MD fan! I've never really had to take fish out, but I think it might be a good idea to trick them into thinking it's a feeding, and when the come up, you go in with the net. Once the other fish try to hide kinda just take the stuff out, and keep the filter running until everything settles down and there's no hardscape but the fish are ttill in it. Then, get everything else. Half of that I made up just now but I feel it might work.

Totally clear one end of your tank of everything bar substrate.
Get either a piece of glass or acetate that you can divide the tank with. (Acetate or other plastic is obviously a lot safer).

When ready, you basically encourage the fish to move to the 'empty' end and insert the glass/acetate to cut off their retreat. You should even be able to restrict them further, using this and then netting them should be relatively easy.
Have a bucket close to hand, with a tea-towel or similar to cover it.
Also take precautions for the possibility of fish jumping out of the newly confined tank space.

Ive always just kept it simple and used the 2 net method.

Low the water level, put one net against the tank wall on one side and guide the fish into it with the second net. Always worked for me.

If it works for denison barbs and zebra danios it will work for anything lol⚡

Thanks guys really good advice here. Big fan of the two net system too but my gobies can burrow into the substrate lol.

I’m currently thinking of emptying the tank of all decor and plants then doing a water change and putting in the fake plants I’ve got leave them over night and the next day take the plants out without disturbing stuff take all the filter pipes out and lower the water level. Very much like the advice of leaving the nets in over night too that’s a good idea! Imagine waking up to find fish in the nets!

I was able to get away from work early today :) and with childcare available and my wife occupied with Christmas prep I was able to sneak off to a local store and pick up some new plants. I got 8 bunches of Vallis, 2 pots of Limnophilla Sessiflora and 3 pots of Crypt Wendetii. Took out most of the remaining plants that were so algae ridden, the last time I bottomed the tank it looked ok for a while but I have to admit life has been a bit hectic so I've not done a water change for a few weeks so I'm hoping that if I keep on top of it over the next week and then make sure it keeps clean I can reverse the algae a bit.

I've disconnected the Co2 and closed the valve so thats stored for now and I'm hoping I can get good growth with these plants. Probably the biggest change in the tank is I've taken out a whole bunch of soil, rescaped the rocks at the front to create a block between the sand and the soil and I have to admit I think it looks great, the fish clearly love it and even my wife said how good it looked which I don't think she has ever done lol. Oh I've added some floating plants too which I'm hoping will help too.

D9B11C71-18B3-48A3-91E5-5BF77E570968_1_105_c.jpeg

Wills

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back