Aquarium vs Terrarium for Leopard Geckos

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Lillypad101

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all!
Thinking about getting a leopard gecko, and I have a 20 gallon long aquarium (30x13x12). Lots of people say not to keep leopard geckos in aquariums (without water of course, properly set up), however it seems as though buying a specific 20 gallon long terrarium is the exact same thing only more expensive.
Any of you leopard gecko keepers out here on the forum!
Any advice appreciated!

I know its a completely different animal, but I'm keeping my juvenile corn snake in a 20 long aquarium and it's working great. I just got the tank at Petco when they were having a sale and bought 4 clips and a screen lid and it's working amazing.

I don't really know much about reptiles but did a quick search on-line and the following link may help.
The above link goes directly to the housing section of the article but there is a lot of other info.

Bottom line is that it seems that your 20 gallon tank should be fine but are you aware of the care needed for these critters? According to the linked article you are talking about daily substrate cleaning to remove feces and monthly total breakdowns and replacement of the substrate including a total cleaning of the inside surfaces.

I would think that the advice about not using an aquarium could be related to air flow but can't really say. At a guess I would think that replacing the aquarium hood with screen should solve this potential issue. I would figure that you would also need a 'heat plate' under the substrate to give warm areas but not the total surface. Also it seems that the critters need to 'bathe' now and then. Just embedding a small pie tin in the substrate should do fine for this but would have to be set up to be easily removed for cleaning and water replacement. Such a pie tin could pretty easily have pebbles at the bottom and small stones adhered to the edges to blend in to the scape.

From the little I read this is not a critter that can be 'caged' and forgotten. It seems to need pretty constant care to keep its environment proper.

If anyone offers different advice listen as, as I said, I don't know much about reptiles.

Thank you for the article and your information! I am well aware of the care requirements, and am prepared for the job:)

Yep, I’m open to advice on how to improve the life of the leopard gecko:)

I can't see why an aquarium wouldn't work, but it might help to have a look at the terrarium designed for this lizard species and see what it has. Jaylach is on the mark with the lid though, I had a screen cover for my amphibian and reptile tanks. They should still be available, they just fit down over the frame. The light goes across the frame the same as for an aquarium. Though you want a different type of light, you probably know that. Warmth and sunlight are important here.

Plenty of warmth (but not to much) and sunlight.
I guess I’ll just use the 20 gallon long with a mesh lid. The only think that seems different in some of the reptile tanks is the latched doors in the front. Some don’t have those though.

Thinking about getting a leopard gecko, and I have a 20 gallon long aquarium (30x13x12). Lots of people say not to keep leopard geckos in aquariums (without water of course, properly set up), however it seems as though buying a specific 20 gallon long terrarium is the exact same thing only more expensive.
Any advice appreciated!

Leopard geckos are awesome! I've kept many types of herps. Back when I was a kid, all I had were aquariums to keep them in. It all worked out fine, but I do like front opening vivs better for two reasons.

1) I am lazy. With a screen top, all of your lights (visible, UV, & heat) sit on top and you have to fuss with all of that every time you want to open the enclosure. I'm too lazy for that these days when I can just swing open front doors easily without disturbing anything.

2) With a front opening viv you can more easily "stack" more enclosures into a similar space. That's really only an issue when you get bit by the bug and want a bunch of critters. But, it's something that impacts my experience and is worth considering in terms of potential future planning.

In terms of health and welfare of the animal, proper care can be delivered in either enclosure type. With that most important aspect considered, it doesn't much matter which you go with. Good luck!

Hi all!
Any advice appreciated!
I have had a Leopard gecko for the past 10 years, his name is Crosby. At first I had a terrarium for him with sand, but avoid sand substrate, when they eat food they can also eat the sand as mine is quite clumsy. I now have him in a 20 long gallon tank with two types of lamps set up and with multiple layers of paper towels (not popular, but similar to carpet substrate they sell and easy to clean daily just replace sheets where he goes to the bathroom). Also, you will want to have 2 types of hide outs: one dry with a heating pad, and one wet one and I have this coconut shavings that I soak everyday. This is much needed for shedding as they have issues with the toes sometimes to shed off. But yes I think a 20 gallon long is perfect, give them a lot of space. I have a screen attachment that has a hinge on the middle where the lamps sit in the back, and the other can open so it is easy.

Thanks everyone for all of the replies! He will have a humid hide, and a cool and warm hide. Not sure what substrate to use yet, thinking vinyl or paper towels. Planning to feed mealworms and crickets, along with vitamin substrate supplements.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back