Hello, These are the fish that I currently have in my 10 Gallon tank:
1 Bala Shark
1 Blue Gourami
1 Silvertip Tetra
3 X-ray Tetra
2 Leopard Danios
1 Guppy
1 Indian Algae Eater

I am planning on getting a 60 Gallon tank to put them in as my 10 Gallon tank is too crowded, can anyone tell me if there will there be plenty of room for them in this new tank, and also, if there will be plenty of room can anyone suggest which fish would be good to add to the tank.

Your views will be much appreciated. Cheers Folks. :grr:

Bala sharks get up to 12-15 inches, and prefer to be in a group of at least 3. They won't be very happy in anything less than about a 120-125 US gallons. One, kept solo, might work in a 60 US gallon tank, but it's going to be very stressed, which may result in jumping or injuries.

For the other fish, yes, a 60 US gallon tank will be more than enough. The tetras would appreciate being in a group of at least 3, with more being both better and, IMO, more attractive.

I have been told that 60 gallons would be plenty, for the bala shark a 120 gallon tank would be massive.

chishnfips said:
I am planning on getting a 60 Gallon tank to put them in as my 10 Gallon tank is too crowded, can anyone tell me if there will there be plenty of room for them in this new tank, and also, if there will be plenty of room can anyone suggest which fish would be good to add to the tank.

Your views will be much appreciated. Cheers Folks. :grr:
Hi there
ok here goes

1 Bala Shark needs at least 50 gallons
1 Blue Gourami needs company
1 Silvertip Tetra community fish need at least six
3 X-ray Tetra as above
2 Leopard Danios community fish need at least 5 and 20 gallons due to activeness
1 Guppy needs company
1 Indian Algae Eater ? I think grows big

how long will it take to get the 60 gallon tank?

B) Few weeks probably, depending on the cash flow situation. The bala shark is quite small still, so I have some time.

Some person said that the bala shark should have a 120 gallon tank, but I checked on the net and found that 60 gallon should be fine, if I got a 120 gallon tank I could re house the atlantic ocean.

Oh and by the way, congrats on the engagement. :clap: :clap: :clap: :kana: :kana:

well the guppy really doesnt need company. theyll be friend themselves with any other fish. platties are the ones that really need company.

and balas only get to 10 inches. 70 gallons would be best if you plan on getting more because they would be able to turn around. But then they minght eat the other fish you have.

Id say get rid of him, and work on your schools. And maybe if you have room in the 60, which Im sure you will you could get another school of some other danios.

especially if theyre a girl and a bunch of males.

so would I get a different gourami to go with it or should I not bother.

I am reluctant to get rid of my bala shark cause he is a cool fish, he's my pride and joy, anyway who would I give him to? :( :(

Bala sharks often reach sizes of 12" or more and need a tank of at least 100 gallons (4x2x2') to be kept properly, though a 125 (5x2x2') would be more prefferable as they are fast moving free swimming fish. They also should never be kept alone since they are schooling fish, a group of 3 would be the minimum.

Gouramis should be either kept alone or in large groups of 5 or more to spread out aggressions.

Sixty gallons will be fine for all but the bala shark which IMO should be returned to the LFS and swapped for more tetras.

When I use that calculator for my 25 gallon tall tank, it says I am good for 42 inches of fish :huh: Does that seem wierd and overstocked to anyone?

The blue gouramis go well with the dwarf gourami. At first it seems likethey hate each other, but after a few days the get along just fine and start looking out for each other.

Good luck

Not all platies need company my palty harassed my other platy non stop and one day i woke up and it was gone (acaully i was camping for 4 days) but i think she might have died from stress and been eaten, He had befriended the angel fish they hang around and attack my other fish togather :/ Guppys like company i have a 5g guppy tank they love each other and for the bala... Hm i dno i have wanted one for ever and it would be cool to see someoen grow one out :D

Most reactions

Back