Aquarium salt

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

beatking

Reaction score
May I ask as to the importance of aquarium salt? I would like to know if it's important for the set up/ cycle of a new tank. I am aware of its importance to treat some illnesses but beyond that, please help me understand. Thank you

Steve

For freshwater fish, we don't use salt except for fish that come from brackish water.

We only use salt for treatment of parasites or mild bacteria infections.
If you use it to treat parasites or bacteria, use about 1-2 tablespoon of salt for every 20 liters of water.
For treatment of bacteria, you have to use it for about 1 week.
For treatment of parasites, you will have to treat it longer depending on the types of parasites.

But do not use salt for more than 4 weeks as it will damage the fish's kidney according to our fish guru, Colin.
Hard water fish can tolerate salt better than soft water fish.
Hard water fish are mostly the East African Cichlids, live bearers such as Guppies, Platies, Mollies and the Rainbow fish.

Most South American Cichlids, Tetras, Corydoras and Asian's Rasboras, Danios, Barbs, Loaches, Bettas fish come from soft water and have less tolerance of salt.

Last edited:
Oh, and aquarium salt is non iodized salt. When I do have to use it, I use kosher or pickling salt at a fraction of the price. You are paying for the box.

If there is an "S" on salt (saltS), it's a different product with a different use.

I need to know because I’m salt ignorant . Is sea salt not to be used to treat fish ? I have only ever used sea salt as ..well it’s from the sea
But I’m hearing that sea salts are not so good ? What is the mineral difference and why is it not as good as rock salt ? @Colin_T @Byron

Rock salt is one salt, sodium chloride.
Sea salt is a number of salts, one of which is sodium chloride, but there are other salts in there as well.

Rock salt is one salt, sodium chloride.
Sea salt is a number of salts, one of which is sodium chloride, but there are other salts in there as well.
Is sea salt just not to be used ? Iv always thought as long as it’s iodine free it’s safe but I’m very hesitant with salt , also when I treat with salt the water tastes brackish is that normal should the salt be present in taste or is that a sign of too much salt

It depends what you mean by "sea salt." Marine salts are the salts of various minerals, including sodium chloride (pure salt). These you cannot or should not use in freshwater fish tanks for anything. Pure "sea salt" on the other hand is just that, pure sodium chloride distilled from sea water. I use this in cooking, and so far as I know there is no reason not to use it for treating specific disease issues. "Aquarium salt" such as API produce is pure salt.

It depends what you mean by "sea salt." Marine salts are the salts of various minerals, including sodium chloride (pure salt). These you cannot or should not use in freshwater fish tanks for anything. Pure "sea salt" on the other hand is just that, pure sodium chloride distilled from sea water. I use this in cooking, and so far as I know there is no reason not to use it for treating specific disease issues. "Aquarium salt" such as API produce is pure salt.
The sea salt I use is just labelled as sea salt it’s very much in the cooking section of the store next to table salt
The shop Asda I buy it from Has no ingredients

Because I am the master of tangents (it's genetic), I present the following:

Disclaimer: No affiliation with the channel producer, other than we are both from or have lived in Macon GA. Plus I like his content

I was always told that sea salt was what was left after water was evaporated from sea water, that it wasn't pure sodium chloride but a mixture of things and therefore not as bad for you as pure common salt. Now I find I was lied to and it's just sodium chloride after all 😲

I was always told that sea salt was what was left after water was evaporated from sea water, that it wasn't pure sodium chloride but a mixture of things and therefore not as bad for you as pure common salt. Now I find I was lied to and it's just sodium chloride after all 😲

I'm assuming it is, I suppose it depends upon how they extract it. I learned from chefs that sea salt is "pure" salt, recommended for cooking; some use kosher salt. I used API's Aquarium Salt a few years ago when Neale recommended it for something I was then dealing with, and I am going from memory but I believe he said I could use this or sea salt.

I'm an old fool from the old school. I use 4 teaspoons non-iodized salt per ten gallons of water regularly as a general tonic. I have no parasites and no premature fish deaths. My plants are fine with it. Vesicularia dubyana Java Moss and Microsorium pteropus Java Fern only. Anything the old timers did , I do.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back