Aquarium Salt with fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Veiji

Reaction score
Redtailed Sharks, from Meijer.
They were rescues from someone, we paid $6 each for four of them, one died so far after half a year. My question is, would adding a small amount of salt to their tanks help them as well? I haven't added anything to it at all, and we have well water, not even conditioner because it was a surprise thing and they needed to be in a tank, now.

I know certain fish do not like it at all, and I cannot seem to find anything on Redtailed Sharks and aquarium salt.

Thoughts on that? They seem to be doing fine without, but wondering if it couldn't hurt if I added the small amount?
received_647911199077468.jpeg

Salt is detrimental to all freshwater fish, to varying degrees depending upon the species and the amount of salt. But unless there is a present issue that would be cured by salt as the best option, there is certainly no point in adding any. It will add further stress which further weakens the fish so they will be even less able to recover.

You say that one died after half a year, so presumably you have had them for that time. We will need to know more data to hopefully advise. Tank size, water change schedule (frequency and volume), water parameters (GH, pH and temperature), results of tests for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate if taken. Other fish in the same tank? Aquascaping (the photo seems to be void of any decor which is very stressful, but perhaps that was just for the photo? Odd behaviours? Rapid respiration? Of course, the one may have had some geenetic or internal issue that killed it; not every fish death is due to disease, pathogens, etc.

I use aquarium salt only when fighting disease.

Most reactions

Back