aquarium lighting

tunageo

Reaction score
Can anyone provide some guidance as to why my fish hide whenver I put on the aquarium light? I have 2 parrots, a firemouth, a salvine, one dempsey, and a large Oscar. All but he oscar seek refuge inside a ceeramic decoration but as soon as I turn off the light (keeping on the room light, however) they come out and act normally, swimming to and fro and acting like fish are suppose to behave. This behavior has been going on now for over a month: I started the tank in June. It's no fun watching fish in semi darkness. I have a 72 gallon tank so there is enough room for them. Help!

Hi Tunageo

Your post I suspect is in the wrong forum so the moderators will no doubt move it.

Is your light too bright ? Have your fish been okay with it before?

I would suspect that most fish would hide during daylight if they are at risk of being attacked by predators - maybe trying a lower wattage bulb might bring them out.

I know when I had to replace one of my bulbs there were several different types of the correct size but differed in light output and type of light - I had to do a bit of reading (of the packages the bulbs were in) to find the right one.

The other question to answer is are your fished stressed as I believe this may cause them to hide.

I know it must be the most commonly asked question - but what are your water readings.

Hope this helps.

Phil

From the fish's point of view it quite a shock to be plunged into blinding bright light without any warning. Though I'd have thought they'd venture out again after a while :/ .

As above maybe the lights are too bright?

You could also try putting the lights on a timer so they are regular each day and maybe have a smaller light come on for a little while before hand so its not such a shock....

www :)

Water readings are fine and I never thrust them into sudden light because I always put on room lights for a while before turning on aquarium light. The only time the fish act stressed is when I turn on th tank light; otherwise, they are frolicking around, swimming back and forth, acting normally.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back