Aquarium Heaters?

julielynn47

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have a Eheim Jager heater. Anyone use these heaters? It had good reviews when I ordered. I got it in the winter of 2014, so it has gone through 2 winter seasons. This year, I put it in the tank, not to run all the time just yet , but to be ready since the nights are getting cooler.

It will not shut off. It runs constantly and after 3 times trying and a re-calibration, I just unplugged it and said the heck with it. I had it set at 72, and the tank water is 77 without it, and it still will not shut off. I really expected to get more use out of it than this.

Anyone have a similar experience with one of these heaters?

Can anyone suggest a good dependable heater?

I am thinking about this one Aqueon 06109 Pro. It has good reviews, but then so did the Eheim Jager...

Last edited:
I think it's more common to just have one up and quit, but truth be told, they all have a questionable use life. I have two Aqueon Pro's (200w) on my 60g, but these are the second pair as the previous two failed over time. The 'set' point references on the heater are sometimes off. I have one that cycles perfectly at 77F, but the pointer is below 70F! Maybe you should try to turn your heater down until it goes off and see if it then cycles normally? (you might best do this in a bucket and not the tank)

That is an idea. I am kind of afraid of it heating up and cooking the fish, I know that sounds over the top, but still I think about it. But I guess that is chance you take with just about all of them. I think I will try that tomorrow and see what happens.

edited to add --- in a bucket LOL

I've got marineland precision heaters going all year(they come on if they need to...haven't been too much lately cuz of warmer weather and no air conditioning!) But I had one for around 2 years that the light started flickering. I wasn't sure why this was so I found the marineland forum and they told me to email the serial number and my address and they sent me a brand new heater!! Free!! You may try contacting the company to see what they say if you can't get it to work. They may send you a replacement!

That is an idea. I am kind of afraid of it heating up and cooking the fish, I know that sounds over the top, but still I think about it.

The safest way to test a heater is to put it in bucket outside and monitor the temperature with no fish and no plants. If it is in a bucket the worst will happen is the bucket will melt and spill water.

I worked on this heater pretty day in a bucket of water. I think I finally have it calibrated to keep the tank at 74 to 75. It was 75 when I went to sleep last night and it was 74 this morning. So if this holds then maybe I won't have to get a new one.

I didn't call the company because it was a International number, and I figured I could just buy a new heater for less than the cost of a phone call. LOL

The safest way to test a heater is to put it in bucket outside and monitor the temperature with no fish and no plants. If it is in a bucket the worst will happen is the bucket will melt and spill water.

I wonder how hot the heater has to get to start making the bucket melt, not that am going to try it........ yet :D :p

Many heaters do not have an exact match between the set temp and the running temp. I have an Eheim Jager (my most recent heater purchase, and I would get this brand again if I need another) 100w in my 33g, and it is set on 69/70F and maintains the tank at 76F. In the past I have found many heaters work this way. The ones I have had running from 1995 era have always been set lower than the actual heated temperature, but so far they have all kept a steady temperature.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back