Aquairum Stocking 20 Gallon

Rollxr

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi guys. Had a question, i have 3 mollies (2 females and 1 male), and 2 platies (both are female). I have them all in a 20 gallon, is that fine?

Iā€™d say thatā€™s totally under stocked, not that thatā€™s bad, but you could definitely keep something else. However, from what Iā€™ve read (i donā€™t keep livebearers), if you donā€™t want a tank full of fry, I would probably recommend removing that male mollie, or youā€™re going to have a breeder tank very soon intentionally or not. If thatā€˜s your goal though, go for it!

Also, if you havenā€™t used this before, itā€™s really good (it has some flaws, but generally right)
http://www.aqadvisor.com/

PPJ :)

Iā€™d say thatā€™s totally under stocked, not that thatā€™s bad, but you could definitely keep something else. However, from what Iā€™ve read (i donā€™t keep livebearers), if you donā€™t want a tank full of fry, I would probably recommend removing that male mollie, or youā€™re going to have a breeder tank very soon intentionally or not. If thatā€˜s your goal though, go for it!

Also, if you havenā€™t used this before, itā€™s really good (it has some flaws, but generally right)

okay then. Thanks

Are you 100% sure also? Just to cross check that my stocking is right

20 gallons is a bit small for mollies as they can grow quite big, but if you have hard water it should be OK. However, if you have soft water, both mollies and platies will suffer, mollies in particular.
With females you'll soon have a lot more fish. Removing the male molly won't stop a fry population explosion because molly females can store sperm from a single mating and use it to have fry every month or so for many months. The female platies could also have fry if they were kept in a tank with males before you bought them as they too can store sperm.

Mollys and platies are fine in a 20 gallon in those numbers, but if they reproduce they can overstock the tank relatively quickly. I would recommend getting a fish to at least slow down the population growth of the tank. Some good options include Bolivian rams, Florida flag fish, a group of Cory catfish or even a female betta.

That depends on the hardness of the water. The fish in there now are both hard water fish while the suggested tank mates are soft water fish.

That depends on the hardness of the water. The fish in there now are both hard water fish while the suggested tank mates are soft water fish.
Florida flag fish are not soft water fish.

20 gallons is a bit small for mollies as they can grow quite big, but if you have hard water it should be OK. However, if you have soft water, both mollies and platies will suffer, mollies in particular.
With females you'll soon have a lot more fish. Removing the male molly won't stop a fry population explosion because molly females can store sperm from a single mating and use it to have fry every month or so for many months. The female platies could also have fry if they were kept in a tank with males before you bought them as they too can store sperm.
Oh
Ok then, the water is hard enough and pH is also pretty decent, but they can still be happy in a 20 gallon can they?

Mollys and platies are fine in a 20 gallon in those numbers, but if they reproduce they can overstock the tank relatively quickly. I would recommend getting a fish to at least slow down the population growth of the tank. Some good options include Bolivian rams, Florida flag fish, a group of Cory catfish or even a female betta.
Well i intend on having some mollies from the fry they will produce. Can you tell me how many more mollies i can keep based on my stocking? So i can see accordingly. I have 1 male molly and 2 female mollies and 2 female platies

Can you give us the actual GH and pH? "hard enough" doesn't tell us anything, and mollies need hard water.

That aside, I personally think the tank is already crowded. Assuming you want these fish to be healthy they will grow--a lot. Males can easily attain 3 inches, and females five, with some reporting six inches.

Can you give us the actual GH and pH? "hard enough" doesn't tell us anything, and mollies need hard water.

That aside, I personally think the tank is already crowded. Assuming you want these fish to be healthy they will grow--a lot. Males can easily attain 3 inches, and females five, with some reporting six inches.
So you are saying the tank is small basically?by the way the pH is 8.0 and gH is 214.8 PPM

Last edited:
How long is a 20 gallon tank? The smallest molly species needs a tank at least 36 inches long. When you add in the fry the mollies and probably the platies will have (if the platies have been in a tank with males at some point) the tank will soon become overcrowded.

The GH is borderline low for mollies, which do best in GH over 250 ppm. It's fine for platies.

No they can't. They are in different genuses - mollies are Poecilia, platies are Xiphophorus. I haven't given a species name as most mollies and platies sold in shops are already hybrids of different Poecilia and Xiphophorus species.

EmeraldKing will be able to tell us of any physical differences which prevent cross breeding.

Most reactions

Back