Aps 1000+Uv

adgieman

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My Juwel filter is driving me nuts, killing my back when i clean it out, as its a tall tank and i have to sink my arm down the box to get to the filter media, and also as the buzzing / droning sound it makes drives me mad as its in the living room. I have changed the impellar for a higher flow rate and that just makes it twice as bad! only time its quiet is when its clogged up with very little flow :( cleaned everythign etc... cant close the lids on my tank propperly or its even louder.

sadly i lost a few fish lately despite good water quality so im thing about cutting the juwel out and getting the aps 1000+uv, but has anyone gone from a juwel to APS 1000, was it the same or quieter?? ~I REALLY cant say enough how miffed i would be to buy it to find its just as noisey!!

Oh and has anyone removed the juwel box while in the water?? where would the heater go?? Its a lido 120 planted tank.

any help or advise on this please??
Thanks

Yes Sort of I've replaced my rio 400 with a APS 2000 + uv so the same but bigger and it's also in the living room slight noise but not really noticeable much quieter than the jewel but that's just mine

Also on my rio 180 the first time I cleaned it I ripped the filter box out with fish in the tank thinking it had created a vacume (I don't suggest this as it took alot of pulling :crazy: ) but in my rio 400 I'd learnt my mistake and used a long Stanley knife :good:

i have an ASP 1000 without the UV, as you won't really need it. Mine is almost silent, i use times and when i open the cupboard doors, i can hear my timers ticking over the noise of the filter, so i think you'll notice a different in noise levels. As for the juwel box, it's easier to take out than you'll probably think. I used a decorators knife and it took me about 5 mins to take it out and 10 mins to get rid of the old silicone marks. I used a stanley blade to do this.

I have the 2000ef and I can't even hear mine and it is in my bedroom. I can only hear it if I try to listen for it!

cheers guys :), im sure when i remove the box (might not do this straight away) that ill find 2/3 corpses in there, 2 missing tetra and an ancistrus went missing and never found several months back, had the whole tank to bits except the stupid juwel box. They must be up the small gap in the corner.... had to ride out the spike with daily water changes :(

Do the APS units get warm or vibrate much? i have a unit underneath the tank but there is a gap all the way round like a floating door, hence my question on noise..

As for the UV do you think i wont need it? I want nice clear water which im not getting with the juwel, lots of floaty debris etc not getting cleared :D

thanks, really appreciate your help :D

the OH wont be pleased if i spend more cash on the fish and it turn out to be wasted.... already did that with the juwel 1000 impellar and air pump :(

Also while i have a thread running, and recently lost my Betta :( i need a new centre fish... any ideas? they need to be hardy as i dont seem to have much luck.
this is my current stock level:

6 neon tetras
2 penguin tetras
1 Platy
2 female molly, 1 white 1 dalmation
2 Cory (they are silvery but not sure which types of cory? think 1 male 1 female as one is quite larger than the other)
1 ancistrus (female i think as no bristles, and has yellow stripes / markings on tail and head etc)

i would also like to increase the cory numbers but the ancistrus seems to be a bit bullyish already with these 2... :(

and 1 final question.... i still have my nitrate sponge in my juewl, despite being a planted tank, do i need to remove this, nothing seems to ever be in it though?? well confused now after spending a few hours reading on here about externals and internals, flow, lph etc etc ...

i bought the APS 1000EF+ about 2 weeks ago and I love it. It was a huge upgrade for me, and not only way bigger than what I had before, but I noticed it cleaned my water sosoooo much better (but thats cuz of the huge improvement in turn around im sure) as far as noise goes, I dont notice it really, but its not in a room I spend a ton of time in. I think for the small price difference, why not get the UV, and have that extra insurance that its killing those nasties in the water. Im very happy with my purchase.

the only draw back, its a pretty darn big unit. It was about an inch too wide to fit into my small cabinet. That was a bummer. make sure u check out the size specs before purchasing.

Hi
My unit vibrates a tiny tiny bit but only because I am lookig for a fault in it lol! I am sat all of 10 feet away and I don't hear anything when I sleep.
When you mean warm what temperature do you mean? I wouldn't say mine feels overheated or anything.

excellent cheers, think im going to order one then.

I only wanted to know if it gets hot as if it makes a noise i want to seal the cupboard, but then it may get hot etc..

I think it will be fine fingers crossed!! Thanks for everyones help!

UV wont remove free floating muck, it will just kill it if it's living, UV filters aren't required on freshwater setups, they serve no real purpose apart from masking problems instead of getting rid of the root cause, save yourself a few quid and get the standard one.

they are out of stock with the standard one, but with the royal code i can get the UV one for same price ;)

:good: The UV shouldnt do any harm, I don't think they have had the standard one in stock for a while! I just received my powerheads from them today :D Went for better ones for same price as lower ones because of the may discount!!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back