apple vs. mystery

Kittycat

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I've read the pinned topic above, but I still can't really figure out a sure way of distinguishing the apple snails that eat plants from the bridgesi. Can anyone tell me the differences?

I always thought apple snails and mystery snails were the same thing :dunno:
maybe this will help you with your question
http://applesnail.net/

apples and mysterys are the same thing.

As wolf has said - applesnail.net has a guide to telling the difference.

I have an apple snail , brig. They are supposed to eat the plants but mine has not done any noticable damage. I have a vallis which has spread well and two other plants which I don't know what they are. They all keep growing without any special treatment. Hope this helps. I have had my snail since last May and it is quite big now. :)

Oh, I'm sorry, I wasn't very clear.

I'm not sure about common names, but the two species I was referring two were the pomocea canalicuta (plant-eating) and pomacea bridgesii (plant-friendly). Supposedly, the former is rounder than the latter, but with no point of comparison (haven't seen either species in person), it's a little difficult...

I had a snail that was the color of the caniculata but the exact shape of the bridgesii and it ate plants. A lot of them in only one day (I took it back). I don't know if I had some kind of cross or what but everyone told me I was wrong and that it was caniculata. I know for a fact, I checked over and over, that the shell shape was identical to a bridgesii so now I'm just going with snails like MTS and Nerites that are all known not to eat plants.

I guess my point is, it's hard to tell for sure. lol

I was looking for snails over the net when I found out we have apple snails in the wild in my country (Philippines), turns out they're an agricultural pest, previously introduced as pets and/or for consumption and escaped/thrown away and got out of hand. I just am not sure if they're all caniculata or if some are bridgesii...

I'm confused--I get conflicting infos on the ramshorn--is it beneficial or a pest? Does it eat plants or not?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back