Apple Snails

Spishkey

Spishkeys Turtle Rescue
Joined
Jun 20, 2008
Messages
2,000
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Belgium
are they hermaphrodites or will i need to buy a few to up my chances of getting a m and f and breeding them?

if i need male and female is their anyway to tell the difference by looking at them, or is it 'all on the inside'?
 
There are males and there are females.... (I think the difference is in the cover pod, with the male's being hollow, and the female being bulged slightly)... I breed them in my outside ponds where I cut off the bottom of 2l coke bottles and submerge the open end, so that the inside stays moist.... They get out of the water & lay their eggs above water level, and there is a huge difference in hatching periods..... some hatches within 2 weeks, whilst I sometimes find them hatching after 6 weeks..... I do not know what influences the rate of hatchings..... They then just fall to the bottom (lots of algea in the ponds) & grow naturally.... about 4 months before they are "Snails"
 
.....(removed).... I cut off the bottom of 2l coke bottles and submerge the open end, so that the inside stays moist.... They get out of the water & lay their eggs above water level.


That is a Pure Genius idea there fella. :good:

No wonder people have been borrowing your brain.
 
The apple snails are definitely male and female, not hermaphrodites. The reference to applesnail.net is a good one. For specialized snail information, you want to go to the experts and they do hang out there. It is where I would go if I ever get serious about breeding snails.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top