Apple Snails (pomacea Bridgesii)

Quick reply in order - just to say that I have come back from a weekend away to find at least four ickle baby spiral-shaped things with teeny antennae poking out of them all over my tank, looks like they've bred already. I can't believe the speed they're growing, two of them have at least doubled in size since they arrived on Wednesday :eek:

Hey, they can't possibly have bred by now. Have you recently (past 3 weeks), added any plants or ornaments etc to the tank? It's more likely to be some hitchhikers from you lfs.

That's what I thought. I have added live plants, but only from my old tank (which had been established for about a year and where there were no snails). Also, they're definitely purple. Ah, who knows. I have to say, it struck me as a bit weird -_-

Edit: I've just done some googling and it looks like the ones I have are Ramshorn babies. Where the hell have they come from!? If it's from my old tank, why on earth weren't they in that one? Weird :eek:

Well they could be from mine as I have ramshorns in it. But I do hand pick each apple snail out of the tank, then pop them in a large tub with a bit of water before I package them. I always check the water is 100% clear of anything before I put the apples in it.
I would suggest removing them as although they are pretty they are classed as a 'pest' snail.

And I'm genuinely sorry if they are from my tank. I just don't know how they could have snuck in...like I said I hand pick and check over EVERY snail before packaging. Really odd.

I'm pretty sure there weren't any other snails in what you sent me, and unless the eggs were stuck to the apples, I don't see it being your doing! It will remain a mystery! I might fish them out and have a go at keeping them seperately, breeding them etc. I need something to feed my (future) dwarf puffs on! :p Any ideas how best to breed ramshorns off the top of your head before I spend the rest of the 'working' day researching it? :p

On a serious note, though, once again many thanks for your snails - they're totally awesome. I can't believe how fast they're growing, it's mental!

It is pretty crazy how fast they grow I know. God knows where one of the apple snails wedged a clutch of eggs, but a small clutch hatched a couple of weeks back and I already have more babies at around .5cm

Ramshorn breeding - Give them a food source. That's about all they need. That's why they're classed as a pest species because they breed so easily.

Stupid question (and sorry to hijack the thread) but do they even need that big a tank? Can I just put them in a large plastic sealable tub (takeaway stylee) with water and some lettuce or something and change the water every so often?

I'd possibly go for something a bit bigger than takeaway tub. Perhaps large margarine tub or something similar. But yep, don't see why not. And when you say change water, I'd just pour excess away and top up with tank water or something equivalent a couple of times a week.

Bump

Posted out this weeks snails. Still got 20 or so of each colour left.
I can't believe how many hatched from that first clutch!

just to let you know my 2 pink snails arrived safe and alive.... :good: and look great :good: many thanks. i am upgrading to a larger tank soon so will be it touch.

matt

If I remember correctly they were for your daughter?
How does she like them?
Glad you're pleased, and glad they arrived safely.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back