Apistogramma Trifasciata gender discrepancy issues

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

...Excuse that tiny outburst. It's just been a really frustrating time with this whole thing. Trying to do everything correctly yet I still keep getting things wrong and it's getting to me...
Mistakes are part of the learning process. I’ll bet that every experienced aquarist one here has had at least one slip up in their fish adventures. :)

I think what I'm going to do is swap what I believe is the least dominant of the males (one at least tries to get in the leading male's face at times and stick up for himself) for a female so I have two of each, and see what happens once they pass quarantine. If the main male goes full commando then we'll deal with that issue as it comes, but for now the best course of action in my eyes would be to have multiple of each gender. If I'm lucky the females will each choose a male and each pair will set up territories on different sides of the tank.

What should help is the fact that the females won't be introduced alone. They'll be accompanied by the shoal of black neon tetras and fairy cories I bought so the sudden disruption of a bunch of new faces should balance the odds.

Also plan to get some small rock caves to nestle in-between all the decor, since the only real hiding space right now is the giant fake log that's too big to offer much security for fish of their size. iirc the store I frequent have ones similar to these that should work.
71RaNoGHHxL._AC_SX466_.jpg

EDIT:

What's more, on the same day of transfer I could do the plant reattachment I need to do, which involves taking out the driftwood and dragon stones my anubias and Java ferns are on and replacing the rubber bands/string with gorilla super glue gel for a more permanent solution. And all that movement of tank objects should disrupt the males' territory placements which further puts everyone on "equal footing."

Last edited:
That sounds like a good plan. It is tough when these things happen. Spare tanks are a good idea but like you I’ve never been in that situation. One thing you could consider is selling them locally find a Facebook group for your city or the like? See if anyone can swap with you? You might find someone local that’s in the opposite position to you having bought a bunch of females From the same place and wanting males?

Please just remember people here are trying to help here too so please think a bit calmer before posting.

I decided to take the most dominant male of the 3 back as the other two had already segregated themselves to opposite ends of the tank which should make pairing compatibility easier down the road. And I managed to get what I'm pretty sure was the only female out of a tank of half a dozen males. In fact I think the reverse was happening and she was masquerading as a male to avoid being harassed because she had little hints of blue when I was bringing her home that have since reverted back to full yellow.
IMG_20210310_191136508.jpg
IMG_20210310_191524832.jpg
IMG_20210310_191553437.jpg

The original female however has been giving her a bit of a hard time. Periodically flaring and chasing her around. After taking these pics I did a water change, moved things around and added some more fake plants to hopefully give the new female enough breathing room to stay out of the other's sight. Fingers crossed they tolerate each other enough long enough before transferring to the main tank.

Pics of the original female for color comparison.
IMG_20210310_191352535.jpg
IMG_20210310_191628636.jpg

Well, the two have been added out of quarantine yesterday and now I REALLY can't tell if either of the newer two are actually females or have been playing me for a fool this entire time. But at this point, I give up, they can figure themselves out.

I've been watching them closely and there's been some flaring and chasing, but nothing excessive. In fact there's been points where all four were in close proximity and tolerating each other's presence (albeit in a passive-aggressive manner). And even if they do get orney with each other there's 125 gallons worth of space to escape in and multiple caves/otherwise secluded areas to hide away. I think we're finally all good here.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back