Apistogramma Babies

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Looking fantastic!!!

Ring around and see which lfs will give you the best price. One nugget of good news is that newbies tend to go for mollies, guppys, platies and such because they confuse the incessant begging with the fish playing. The owner of my lfs told me that when it comes to chiclids it's usually by those that who know what their doing...

Looking fantastic!!!

Ring around and see which lfs will give you the best price. One nugget of good news is that newbies tend to go for mollies, guppys, platies and such because they confuse the incessant begging with the fish playing. The owner of my lfs told me that when it comes to chiclids it's usually by those that who know what their doing...

One thing that concerns me is that one of them is 3 times smaller that the rest and hasn't developed colour yet, my suspicion is that this babies has been born at a later date ( perhaps 4 weeks later) I noticed she produced eggs about 4 weeks after she had these fry but a day later the eggs were gone and I just assumed she had her hands so full with her current fry that it confused her and she neglected them. Now I believe a single baby survived because she and dad are chasing away all the offspring except this one baby

Can this occur ? I cannot otherwise explain the size of this one baby and will post photos tommorow

Yep, they soon see their last brood as the enemy once they have spawned again. I lost a group of Kribensis young like that when I first started out and wasn't really sure what I was doing. Lol.

Just to add to my earlier comment... Breeding parents to fry or siblings to each other, is how various strains are developed....

033212AE-2974-4D2A-BDBF-612906BC1DA1-1989-0000022F8CB200D2.jpg

79C46082-3BB5-4E39-8129-F17B50D8A863-1989-0000022F82C8400B.jpg

2C23033D-7423-4C60-8D2F-D64E83452BBE-1989-0000023251D0689B.jpg

89AB0A49-A58D-4248-AD9B-57704E8D1FFE-1989-0000023248DA9087.jpg

As you can see there is a huge difference in size and colour with this particular baby and its the only one mum and dad are interested in protecting. I'm convinced this baby is at least 4 weeks younger than the rest, am I going crazy ? Lol if it is they she did a good job hiding it. She did have eggs about 4 weeks ago but they were gone the day after I discovered them in the coconut cave. I assumed she had eaten them because she had so much on her plate with her current brood and I didn't see her with any new fry in all these weeks till I saw just how little this one was compared to the others ( they have had a giant growth spurt)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back