API STRESSCOAT

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Swartz44

Reaction score
How much do I add to a 1 gallon jug when doing water changes. The directions say 5ml per 10 gallons. Also can you add to much & kill tank inhabitants?

Thanks in advance

How much do I ass to a 1 gallon jug when doing water changes. The directions say 5ml per 10 gallons. Also can you add to much & kill tank inhabitants?

Thanks in advance
I don’t use that product, just the API Water Conditioner. I seriously doubt a minor excess of either would be harmful, but I use 1 ml or 10 ml syringes to measure fairly accurately.

I don’t use that product, just the API Water Conditioner. I seriously doubt a minor excess of either would be harmful, but I use 1 ml or 10 ml syringes to measure fairly accurately.
Oh, & you’d add .5 ml per gallon. So a 1 ml syringe is nice. When using 1 gal water jugs, I often add 1 ml to every other jug.

I have never used this API stresscoat, though I have seen certain chain store LFS using them to add to water in fish bag before adding fish in for transportation but honestly I had to stop myself going up to the employee and saying something but realise would be pointless as staff are probably under manager instructions to do this every time.

I do believe this API Stresscoat is a fairly pointless product.

What is stresscoat? 🤷‍♀️

API
What is stresscoat? 🤷‍♀️
API Stress coat is a kind of water conditioner that is supposed to help with stress and slime coat of fish etc and the product actually includes Aloe Vera which API says heals damaged tissues and wounds but is not scientifically proven, there is a bell ringing in my mind somewhere where have heard Aloe Vera does have an effect on fish but not a good effect, may be wrong about that but don't think so somehow...

api stress coat screenshot.JPG

generic pic from t'internet!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0002567CI/?tag=

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If you bought it as water conditioner, then just use 0.5ml for your 1 gallon jug.
It's ok to put extra between 0.5-1 ml.
Just don't put excessive extra dose.

As most had mentioned, you don't really need the Aloe Vera in the Stress coat.

In future, just buy the API water conditioner that doesn't have the Aloe Vera when you have finished using this Stress Coat.
It will also be cheaper.

Attachments

• IMG_20211109_232715.jpg
    IMG_20211109_232715.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 32
Studies of farmed fish show aloe vera coats the gills and damages them.

@Swartz44 use the stress coat but when the bottle is empty I suggest you switch to API Tap Water Conditioner, the one in Lajos' post.

5 ml stress coat in 10 gallons = 0.5 ml in 1 gallon. You can buy 1 ml syringes or pipettes which are usually marked in fractions of a ml.

If you get the Tap Water Conditioner, this is measured in drops; 1 drop per gallon if tap water has chlorine or 3 drops per gallon it it's chloramine. The smallest bottles have droppers in the lid, and this can later be topped up from a larger, more cost effective bottle. Or use a syringe/pipette to measure the drops.

API

API Stress coat is a kind of water conditioner that is supposed to help with stress and slime coat of fish etc and the product actually includes Aloe Vera which API says heals damaged tissues and wounds but is not scientifically proven, there is a bell ringing in my mind somewhere where have heard Aloe Vera does have an effect on fish but not a good effect, may be wrong about that but don't think so somehow...

View attachment 147401

generic pic from t'internet!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0002567CI/?tag=
Ta very much. I recognise the bottle. Too many products from the same companies that do the same thing!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Yea, I only use the API Water Conditioner. A whole lot of marketing going on .

I have come across several forums that alludes Aloe Vera can clog the gills of fish and damage them sadly and also Aloe Vera can reduce the oxygen level in water column in closed aquariums but not scientifically proven unfortunately , i have come across several science papers stating aloe vera CAN be beneficial but the the negatives outweigh the positives of Aloe Vera products but these scientists are very much hedging their opinions and seems on the fence about stress coat imho.

So in my humble opinion, I would not chance it with API Stresscoat at all or in fact ANY products that contains Aloe Vera so would personally avoid those kind of products regardless of brand or who the manufacturers are.

The following extract from a paper looking into additives in water conditioners is significant.

Some additives contain aloe extract from leaves of the Aloe vera plant. Manufacturers of these products claim that the Aloe vera extract promotes healing of damaged tissue. One potential drawback to water additives that contain Aloe vera extract or CMC is the addition of organic waste load that can reduce the water quality and oxygen levels in a closed system. This may not be an issue, depending on the density of fish, length of time fish are held, and oxygen content of the water. However, the effects of these substances on gill tissue are unclear. Taiwo et al. (2005) tested the survival and behavior of tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus) exposed to different concentrations of aqueous extract of A. vera for up to 96 h. One hundred percent of tilapia exposed to 50 ppm A. vera died within the duration of the experiment. Fish used in this experiment exhibited severe depigmentation and destruction of organs (including gills). The evidence of the toxic effects of A. vera on fish solidifies the need to empirically test water conditioners, and their chemical components, for potential negative effects on fish.​

Any additive that has the potential to cause issues such as those mentioned is not something that should be added to a tank with fish. Especially since there is absolutely no proof of any benefit from aloe vera to begin with.

Paper is here:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back