Anyone Tried This Product?

I have the same problem as you where my tap water has no buffering ability. I filter through crushed coral to combat the pH swing. Is it possible that your water authority has a new source? If this could be, maybe the new source has a higher pH and GH KH than the old. I know that my water authority will sometimes in drought buy water from another source, and that source has a higher KH and pH than the main supply.

I don't know if this could be happening in your area, but it is possible.


I never considered that possibility. Not sure if it would they would be getting water elsewhere though. Our water is brought up from Toronto and I spoke with the people there, I am getting water from Lake Ontario. Lake Ontario is large enough and constantly being fed, I don't think they would have a shortage problem. Never know though.
 
The problem with RO is that you kH (carbonate hardness) is going to be very low - so you will still see wild pH swings.

I think what we need to look at to resolve this problem is to increase the kH and GH - this will naturally increase the pH but if your pH is dropping off - by increasing the kH and GH things should be more stable vs. adding removing coral which is just effecting the pH.
The higher the kH of the water - the pH should not swing back and forth.


I'm lifting this from a google search:

Ways to lower pH

Filtering water over peat
Add bogwood to the tank
Inject carbon dioxide CO2
Use a commercial acid buffer
Water changes with softened water or RO (Reverse Osmosis) water

Ways to raise the pH
Aerate the water, driving off the carbon dioxide (CO2)
Filter over coral or limestone
Add rocks containing limestone to the tank or use a coral sand substrate
Use a commercial alkaline buffer


Ways to increase kH

Adding sodium bicarbonate (baking soda). One teaspoon of baking soda added to 50 liters of water can raise the kH of the water by approx 4 deg dH without a major affect on pH.
Adding an air stone to increase surface turbulence driving off carbon dioxide (CO2)
Adding commercially available products to increase buffering capacity

Ways to lower kH

Injecting carbon dioxide (CO2)
Use reverse osmosis (RO) water. You can mix tap water with reverse osmosis water to achieve the desired kH.
Adding commercially available products to decrease the buffering capacity.

Ways to increase gH

Adding limestone to the aquarium (this will also increase kH which in turn will increase pH)
Adding calcium carbonate will raise gH and kH

Ways to reduce gH

Adding peat moss to your filter
Use commercially available water softening pillows or a water softener
Mixing tap water with reverse osmosis (RO) water.


A long but interesting read is here: GH/kH and pH
This article is from another forum but I think it is very relevant to understand your situation - so hope thats ok with the mods.

I read your link, thank you for that. While it was loading I used the test strip and tested the tank water and tap water.

Tank water kh of 0 or 50 (really hard to tell the difference) gh of 180 (hard)
Tap water kh of 0 or 50 (Same trouble telling the difference) gh of 100 (soft)

Tests strips are not too accurate though. Still looking for peat moss and bog wood. Off tomorrow afternoon and going out then.
 
If that's accurate it sounds like something is leeching calcium in your tank. You can do a vinegar test to check each item. What you would be looking for is if the object fizzes when you put a drop of vinegar on it. If it does, then that item will definately raise your pH and possibly the hardness.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top