Anyone Seen Their Own Puffer Inflate

well they are liars, salt would do more harm to dp's than good
Wow...now I really do not like my LFS! They said that there needs to be a little salt in the water...wonder why they said that?

-Note to self-
never listen to my LFS again!

Thanks for the clarification!
-FHM
 
It depends what type they were referring to as some Puffers do need salt.
The Dwarf Puffer (Carinotetraodon travancoricus) which most people refer to is completely freshwater.
However, I have heard Figure 8 Puffers being referred to as dwarf before and these do require salt.
 
It depends what type they were referring to as some Puffers do need salt.
The Dwarf Puffer (Carinotetraodon travancoricus) which most people refer to is completely freshwater.
However, I have heard Figure 8 Puffers being referred to as dwarf before and these do require salt.
Maybe that is what they were trying to say...idk now.

But I am pretty sure that it was the Carinotetraodon travancoricus puffer.
So if I every wanted to get a Dwarf Puffer I should get the Carinotetraodon travancoricus, just so I could add other fish as well?
Thanks for the info!
-FHM
 
just to add my valentini puffer was just swimming then he puffed up so i walked over to the tank and he shrunk the water was fine and then a few weeks later he died :sad:
 
It depends what type they were referring to as some Puffers do need salt.
The Dwarf Puffer (Carinotetraodon travancoricus) which most people refer to is completely freshwater.
However, I have heard Figure 8 Puffers being referred to as dwarf before and these do require salt.
Maybe that is what they were trying to say...idk now.

But I am pretty sure that it was the Carinotetraodon travancoricus puffer.
So if I every wanted to get a Dwarf Puffer I should get the Carinotetraodon travancoricus, just so I could add other fish as well?
Thanks for the info!
-FHM
DP's should be kept as a species only with the exception of ottos and some shrimp
 
i may keep ottos with mine just to clear algy but not very interesting fish imo
it would be so much easier without other types of fish
i never planned on keeping anyothers with mine
 
It depends what type they were referring to as some Puffers do need salt.
The Dwarf Puffer (Carinotetraodon travancoricus) which most people refer to is completely freshwater.
However, I have heard Figure 8 Puffers being referred to as dwarf before and these do require salt.
Maybe that is what they were trying to say...idk now.

But I am pretty sure that it was the Carinotetraodon travancoricus puffer.
So if I every wanted to get a Dwarf Puffer I should get the Carinotetraodon travancoricus, just so I could add other fish as well?
Thanks for the info!
-FHM
DP's should be kept as a species only with the exception of ottos and some shrimp
I just added that last part as a way for other people to even further clarify/understand what I was trying to say; all in a attempt for me to understand to the full extant of the rightful meaning of my original question.
I know that they should be kept separate, with the exemption of what you said.
Thanks again for the clarification!
-FHM
 
sorry it realy has gone of the topic but how many puffers would be a good number for a litre tank?


i estimated it at about four!

sorry i meant 60! litres
 
someone told me they could only do it four times or simthing ...... i didnt know weather to belive them? also ive never seen one puff? does it happen in aquariums when thy feel threatened? i always see puffers just sitttin under a log in my lfs so i was wonderin do they puff alot or just not

Firstly, no its not true that they can only do it 4 times. Puffers will puff when they feel threatened, but you shouldn't ever annoy a puffer just to see it puff as it can be dangerous for them.

If you do see your puffer puffed up, I have heard that gently lifting their tail out the water so their face is pointing down into the water can help to relax them so they deflate quicker.

Puffing is a defense mechanism only and can be dangerous for the fish. A puffer won't puff up unless it feels it is really necessary and I can't stress enough that you shouldn't ever make them puff deliberately. It's a last resort, much like a sting from a bee.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top