Anyone On Here Horse Riders?

hanny93

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi, just wondering if anyone on here rides horses?

I'm having a bit of trouble with getting long boots to fit (I have close to 20" calves with jods on) and wondered if anyone had any suggestions?

I do and have the same problem as you, I really can't get any long boots because my calves are too big. There are a couple which will fit that zip up the back, all the way from the bottom and the other option is to have them custom made, but both of those are ridiculously expensive. Instead, I use short boots with half-chaps: this works really well and it's a lot easier to get them on, + the short boots are more multifunctional.

Yeah ive found one pair, but they arent really suitable for showing, and i wanted to show this season, and the custom made boots are ridiculous, £300 and id only be wearing them a couple of times a week.

I'm currently o the lookout for a really nice pair of joddy boots and some matching half chaps, although two weeks ago i didnt know you could actually show in short boots so that was a nice surprise!

Really? I didn't realise that one could use short boots + chaps for showing either.. I only ride for pleasure, you see, and never even thought of competing.

/me goes to check who makes her boots & chaps

Mine are black lace-up boots by Ariat, with the chaps which have a stretchy bit on one side. I think they were half the price in the US, so I had a friend bring them over. They're not cheap, but are really nice.. I think both cost me about 100 pounds or so.

I wish i could afford Ariat's haha, and yes apparently some of the top riders at county level still ride in short boots and chaps :)

#41####, that's a shame :(

(Btw, I meant that boots were 70 pounds and chaps were 30 pounds.)

£30 for ariat chaps?! although you got them near enough half price didnt you? Cant really afford £60 chaps tbh! I probably wont show a lot this season anyway, maybe once or twice, if that, i just want the option to show :)

Yeah, that's why I went for them, the price was really good in US! Any chance you could borrow something from a friend for this season, maybe?

All my horsey friends are skinny :( if needs be i just wont show! I'm going to robinsons next weekend so at least ill be able to try some on!

Derby House is way out of my price range unfortunately :)

Derby House is way out of my price range unfortunately :)
OK what about equestrian clearence warehouse in sowerby bridge they have a website its mail order. From what i remember they are very reasonable. Just found the link for you www.equestrianclearance.com

Tried them aswell, cant find any big enough for me. Tried evry single website i can find!

Tried them aswell, cant find any big enough for me. Tried evry single website i can find!
Well what i would suggest then if you cant find any to fit is to buy the largest pair you can find then take them to a local saddler and have them put an extension in for you. That is what i had to do with treadstep chaps.
Sorry to be nosey what kind of horses do you have. I used to breed welsh.

Yeah i have some long boots at the moment up for sale, but if i cant find any at robinsons im just going to take them to a cobbler and get a zip put in :)

And I loan a horse called ~Candy, she's a Hanovarian Cross and shes beautiful :)

Most reactions

Back