Anyone Here Never Ever Done Water Tests?

crazychris

Fishaholic
Joined
Aug 9, 2008
Messages
470
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
East London
I first kept fish in the late 70's as a teenager and had two 4ft tanks then. I've kept them again since 1995 and have never in my life done any kind of water test. My tanks are crystal clear and I rarely lose fish apart from with old age. Had white spot once since '95 but used Protozin and didn't lose any fish. Kept a pink kissing gourami for 13 years! So in my opinion water tests aren't necessary. Take it you all disagree with me?
 
well, if you are not having any problems and your water is clear and no fish are dying, they aren't needed. But not everyone is using the same tap water, or the same equipment. Sometimes it is needed.
 
A lot of things aren't necessary in lots of situations.

Water changes.

Water tests.

Dechlorinator.

But to me it's a case of "why not?", at lest every now and then. Don't cost a lot of money or effort...

I never need to test the water, but often do just because I'm interested in monitoring the conditions in the little ecosystems that are our aquariums.

Chances are OP's tanks have great water stats, if they were bad he would have noticed something wrong with the fish.

But beginners should certainly use test kits, it takes all the guess work out of the hobby for people who don't have experiance in the first place.
Some beginners may get lucky without them, but that's ll it is, luck.
And relying on luck to start an aquarium is just silly IMO :).
 
I don't test a whole lot, but I do if I notice something strange going on in the tank - or have recently had to do a major clean, or move tanks etc. Usually my stats are pretty regular so there's no need. Or sometimes I'll just do random checks.. but not constantly!

Dechlorinator however is needed here, the water STINKS of chlorine especially at night time.
 
I don't test a whole lot, but I do if I notice something strange going on in the tank - or have recently had to do a major clean, or move tanks etc. Usually my stats are pretty regular so there's no need. Or sometimes I'll just do random checks.. but not constantly!

Dechlorinator however is needed here, the water STINKS of chlorine especially at night time.
I'll bet you don't need to use it ;).

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showto...261519&st=0

But as I said, you may as well, it doesn't cost much. But it's another thing that's just not worth worrying about :good:.
 
Heh, I remember that topic - and remember asking about if boiling the water would "sterlise it" :blush: I think it still makes sense. You boil water for a baby to remove all the crap, why not do it for a fish tank? Other than the fact it would take you a rather long while with a big tank..

Ok, so I don't NEED to use it - I just choose to use it. When I remember, which is usually when I do it at night time :blush:
 
takes 15 mins and in the mean time you can get on and do other stuff.. water chages i do as i feel they are compulsory,, but why not :)

if im having the pleasure of keeping these fish i want the best for them, and im not having a go at you at all my brothers had fish very sucessfully in the 80`s and i never saw them test o water change, but if the facility is there then use it

it rains in the wild so they get a fresh level of nitrites n water every so often


and yes im editing to say, i know they are not in the wild, but simulation is the next best thing
also forgot to add that i dont test reularly as i do WC when i think something is wrong ill do it, but water changes are the way to go :)
 
????I water change 25% twice a week on my big tank,more on my smaller one,I just don't test or dechlor it.
 
i used to spend a fortune on declor, i found out i was using "cycle" instead :lol:

so i stopped and no harm came to any of my fish, i use it now as ive moved and i smell the cholrine in teh tap water.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top