anyone have this problem before?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

rsz

Cheddar: classic or cliche?
Reaction score
my 2 guinea pigs have these big spots all on their backs. when ruby first got them, about 5 months ago, the vet told me that they would clear up and he didn't say what they were. he burst one which had a head and there was loads of pus. :sick:
but 5 months on, they have spread over to elvis and although they never used to hurt the pigs, they squeak when i touch them now. has anyone's guinea pigs ever had this before?

forgot to mention, i'm going to get dad to ring the vet when he can... -_-

I don't know what it could be. The only health problems I have had with mine was mange (brought in on hay) and an ear infection and pollop with Joe who died last year.

I would bath them with warm water and medicated guinea pig shampoo incase of open wounds and take them to the vet, preferably a different one to who told you they would be ok.

Keep us informed.

:)

well i bath them fairly often anyway - they're longhaired - and i use shampoo. i changed shampoos when they got the spots but that didn't help.

i'll keep you posted :)

Well, we went to the vet. She said that they had cysts (sp?), and that this type of cyst was more common in dogs (weird, I know). Well, she said that the lumps would keep going down and then refilling.

She also said that she could operate to remove the spots, but because the guinea pigs are so old (nearly 5 :D ) she wasn't really happy to use anesthetics on them.

She gave me this medicine stuff which I have to syringe into their mouths twice a day, she said it might help. Ruby takes the medicine suprisingly well, but Elvis is a right little devil :devil: !!!

The vet said the only lump she was slightly worried about was one on Elvis's back, because it doesn't have a head and it's huge. But she said just keep an eye on it.

So basically the guineas should be ok :thumbs:

We had a guinea pig who got one of those cysts on her throat and the vet wouldn't remove it because it was too risky and she died from it. :-( She was covered in them,they got all over her and it eventually made her suffocate. We just kept her comfy and warm. :-( It was so sad. I bred them for awhile,she was the baby I kept. I miss her. :-(

Many years ago, I had a guinea pig that developed one of those cysts under his chin. The vet said it was something related to tularemia, lanced it, and sucked the contents out with a syringe. Then he sent me home with another syringe and gave me instructions on how to drain it. He also gave me liquid antibiotics to give the guinea pig. The cyst eventually dried up (it took a while) and Hamlet lived to a ripe old age.

Susan

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back