Anyone have experience with Cardinal Plants?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Nells250

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
HI folks

I was browsing the various aquatic plant seller websites and was surprised to see Cardinal Flower (lobelia) listed for sale as an aquarium plant. (I have tried to grow the garden variety for a few years now, with limited results)

Does anyone know if the two varieties are actually the same? I know the garden plant lives damp conditions... I also read that in an aquarium, the leaves stay all green when fully submerged, but have some reddish color when partially submerged.

Does anyone here have experience with them as aquarium plants?

As far as I know, they are the same plant. Naturally they grow in marshy areas. I've never kept them, but I'm sure someone on here has. I've never quite trusted garden plants that are used as aquarium plants. I'll be interested in what you find out.

I have had them both in my indoor storage tanks and my outdoor stock tanks.
They grow very fast, submerged with light, and like most, melt away the emersed growth and regrow submerged growth.
It is difficult to get a nice red/purple color without high lighting. You will end up with a long pinkish-green stem that(in my opinion) doesn't really look that great.

I never liked them but i heard they would flower if they break the water line so i always tried to get mine to grow out of the aquarium but it never seem to want to break the water line... so i never got flowers :( On the other hand if you let PSO break the waterline you will be treated with a most wonderful purple flower.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back