Anyone For Tomatoes?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

pebbles

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Its getting to that time of year again , and there is nothing like Tomatoes. So , how and when and which ones do you grow ?

This year I will grow a few plants of three varieties , the small bite size cherry one called Sweet million[not grown it before ].the next which I grow every year and can recommend is Sungella [sweet ,good size fruits with low acidity]. Harbinger , I have never grown before so if anyone has would be interested to know how it performs .

I have an unheated greenhouse but also try some outside ... So , lets hear about the tomatoes :)

I'll hopefully be growing a few this year, i dont know what varieties yet but deffinately a cherry type and plum type as these are the two i use most frequently.
These will have to be grown outside in patio containers as i wont have time to get a green house erected in time for this summer but its a SW facing garden so there should be pleanty of sun for them.

Any tips on fertilisers to use, if any?

I tend to use a liquid tomato feed , I have used many and don't have a preference but it needs to have a high potash content .Wait until the first fruits have started to form before you start to feed .

I have a tendency to underfeed , and think correct watering is as important if not more so . pebbs

I usually have quite a large tomato garden, but I won't be able to do that this year as I lost half of my backyard. I'll be trying the pot method with CFC.

My two favorite tomatoes are Lemon Boys (yellow and tangy) and Yellow pears, the fruit is bell shaped and sort of sweet.

For fertilizer, CFC, you could try old fish water, that's my master plan. I usually plant mine with coffee grounds and crushed egg shells beneath them and they do quite well...in the ground mind you. I'm new to the pot scene.

Last week in Science class we had to read a magazine called Current Science. There was an article in there about this girl who discovered if you build a mound of dirt and then grow the roots of a tomatoe plant horizontal into the mound it will dramatically increase the production of its fruit. So you may want to try that with a couple of your plants and see if it works. :thumbs:

Mine are grown in pots also[albeit in the greenhouse] and always contain a degree of home made compost mixed in.You are right about the coffee grounds and crushed egg shells , they are in the the compost bin along with all the rest of kitchen veggie waste.Used tea bags are good in compost also. I tend to take the fish water for granted , never enough to go round here though .. The fuschias thrive on it , so they get priority. pebbs

I don't think I could eat something I had watered with old fish water, lol

We will grow a bunch on the patio again this year, Bu loves to go pick his own :)

Since I've lived in an apartment, it's been a long time since I've grown my own tomatoes, but there is nothing you can buy that is anywhere near as delicious. Now I live on the second floor and don't even have a little patch of soil to grow flowers in. :/

Any tips on fertilizers to use, if any?

Nothing beats manure for growing tomatoes. If you use store bought, mix it in in the spring. If you use fresh, turn it under the soil in the fall so it can "cool" off.

I'm new to the pot scene.

Use any kind of high nitrogen fertilizer, wuv. The idea is to grow lots of leaves. Manure works well for that too. Errr............wait, did you mean for the tomatoes? :unsure:

:fun: :lol:

Hi all!

I'm really glad I stumbled on this topic. I am a Tomato virgin and I'm gonna try growing them this year for the first time ever. I have a nasty case of 'black thumb' and haven't seriously ever tried to grow anything (I even put plastic plants in my aquarium!)

So; I've got a little plastic (Mmmm I love plastic... :sad: ) one gro-bag green-house, but I haven't a clue when to plant, what to do, or how to do it. I've done some reading on the interweb, but it's no help cause I'm thick and know nothing about gardening (and I've just moved to a house with a huge garden!) and people use words like trusses and pruning. Yep I really am that hopeless...

Any advice? (Apart from telling me to give up now.... ;) )

Just buy some tomato plants and stick them in, if this is a standard sized grobag and they are "normal" tomato plants, I wouldn't put more then two in.

Then wait for the plant to telll you what it needs. If it gets big and starts leaning, stick a bamboo cane in and tie it up, water it daily in the evening, pick off caterpillars and slugs if you see them, and wait for it to fruit. It's pretty hard to fu a tomato as long as you don't forget to water it.

Tomatoes are not difficult but as with everything a little bit of tlc goes a long way .. get your growbag or two pots , and your plants .. any questions ask here along the way ...:) pebbs

ps. don't forget that garden centres often sell plants long before they can go outside[even in a mini greenhouse ].need to wait till no more frosts .

Tomatoes are not difficult but as with everything a little bit of tlc goes a long way .. get your growbag or two pots , and your plants .. any questions ask here along the way ...:) pebbs

ps. don't forget that garden centres often sell plants long before they can go outside[even in a mini greenhouse ].need to wait till no more frosts .
Yah, wondered about that, although I can't say that I've seen any plants in my local GC yet.

Just to change the subject a little; Anyone recommend a nice tasty variety? (pref not cherry size!)

Ta!

DB

Most reactions

trending

Back