anyone ever have this problem?

sandyd

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hello everyone, anyone else ever have a problem with breeding grass? My plants have not reached the top of my tank yet, so with 3 pregnant guppys in there, i bought some breeder grass, the kind that is shaped like a triangle with 3 tufts of "plant" on it. I put it in my tank after cleaning it, and my guppy got stuck in it and died. :( I pulled the base off of the grass and i think i like it alot better. :fun: They are free floating on top of tank, and also stay alot cleaner. :D If anyone else has ever had this problem, i would be glad to hear from you.

Also while i have you attention, i just wanted to say that you guys are the best, there is so much information on this site that i am thrilled that i joined and look forward to talking to all of you.
Thank you
Sandy :D

Is this grass artificial? The reason I ask is that you rarely see grass for sale designed for aquariums. Yes you have things like java moss which is an excellent breeding medium, but it is not, "grassy. If it is artificial, I would try and steer clear of it, as anything that is not real has no tolerance in it for movement and usually acts as a trap. If you not art. plants mimic wide leafed plants and are usually quite open. Another way of offering a little protection for your fry is to upturn a clay flowerpot(small) and place it in the tank. The drainage hole in the base of the pot will offer a little refuge for the fry and hopefully keep the main fish out. Caution though, it can also be a trapping spot for dead or dying fish.

Yes the gras is artificial, i only put it in there because my plants had not reached the top of my tank and there was no place for my fry to hide. since i removed the botom hard plastic, it has not given me any trouble. As soon as my plants are bigger, i will have no nead for it. Would it be bad for the fish to leave it in there for a few more weeks until the plants reach the top? Thank you for your suggestion on a clay pot, i will try it. Again thank you.
Sandy

Most reactions

Back