Anyone else started school yet?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
i used to like school bc I got to see friends five days a week (and bc my school had easy work that I could do in 20 min) but now I'm homeschooled and have no friends (I don't think kiwi and avocado would count as friends... the things they would do to me if they could...)
The story of my life right here. :rofl:

It doesn't do to generalize about such things.
1. i forgot to include my teachers
2. i completely understand that getting everyone to average is the priority, but i believe my point was worded wrong - i only meant to imply that the education system was putting restraints on me.

i can't try to understand your annoyance with such an insignificant thing as under clarification, but i can at least try to fix it, so, sorry if you got offended by my comment. although i also consider it unjust to present my common sense as subpar, i will ignore it.

1. i forgot to include my teachers
2. i completely understand that getting everyone to average is the priority, but i believe my point was worded wrong - i only meant to imply that the education system was putting restraints on me.

i can't try to understand your annoyance with such an insignificant thing as under clarification, but i can at least try to fix it, so, sorry if you got offended by my comment. although i also consider it unjust to present my common sense as subpar, i will ignore it.
No offense taken. I understand and share some of your frustration with the educational system. Just pointing out that it isn't all the teachers' fault. That's all.

Oh, and when I expressed hope of common sense breaking out, I wasn't referring to you, but to the flaws in the system, hoping that those in power will have the sense to see those problems and begin addressing them.

No offense taken. I understand and share some of your frustration with the educational system. Just pointing out that it isn't all the teachers' fault. That's all.

Oh, and when I expressed hope of common sense breaking out, I wasn't referring to you, but to the flaws in the system, hoping that those in power will have the sense to see those problems and begin addressing them.
I think that there will always be a huge difference in what teachers think is a good education and government ministers who want standardised scores so everyone can be graded.

I have an Early Years Teaching Degree and evidence states that children up to about 7 learn best through play-based, experiential learning and there is plenty of evidence that this system is very successful in other European countries. What do we give our children? One term of “pre-school” learning and then more form literacy and numeracy hours…😢

I understand the frustrations of the system, but please believe most teachers will have the very same ones.

(very generalised statements - sorry).

Unpopular opinion?
Doing public school on a computer in your home is not homeschooling.
There. I said it.

Unpopular opinion?
Doing public school on a computer in your home is not homeschooling.
There. I said it.
It would depend on the situation and context I suppose? In my case, I would consider myself still "homeschooled" as even though its online, its just an online course that my parents chose for this year with the intention of me staying home, I still have my mom as the teacher providing several other important things that online doesn't offer but that a normal school would, such as art, handwriting, reading, and learning opportunities in day to day life. For me, I am not home because my public or private school went online because of quarantine, which I think is where the difference is. But school from home, like many schools are having students do now, I would consider somewhere in between.

Well… I’m homeschooled, so school is definitely a big M E H to me. (I see my siblings and parents 24/7 essentially)
Ohh I know what you mean. It has been over a year and a half since I've had a sleepover with a friend, and I didn't get to see anyone all summer.
i used to like school bc I got to see friends five days a week (and bc my school had easy work that I could do in 20 min) but now I'm homeschooled and have no friends (I don't think kiwi and avocado would count as friends... the things they would do to me if they could...)
Yup, I know exactly what you mean. Even after I started homeschooling, I had friends at our church, but over quarantine one decided that she felt like our friendship was too much work and she didn't want to be friends anymore, then my other friend got jealous of me because we have horses and won't talk anymore:no:

most all online schooling, including before covid, is considered public because it is part of a regular school district - you aren't homeschooled

most all online schooling, including before covid, is considered public because it is part of a regular school district - you aren't homeschooled
because I am taking a few courses online I am not allowed to be considered homeschooled?

The definition of homeschool is "to teach one's children at home" or "educate at home instead of sending to school". I would consider myself still homeschooled, the online courses are simply a tool used by my homeschool teacher (my mother) to teach me from home.

because I am taking a few courses online I am not allowed to be considered homeschooled?
I took two online classes last year. What I meant by "Doing public school on a computer in your home is not homeschooling." Is people who aren't taught by their parents at all. I'm homeschooled :) Sorry, I should have clarified before I posted my first reply

I took two online classes last year. What I meant by "Doing public school on a computer in your home is not homeschooling." Is people who aren't taught by their parents at all. I'm homeschooled :) Sorry, I should have clarified before I posted my first reply
Oh no, its fine! I got what you meant, I just wanted to share my thoughts on it too. It has been really nice to meet so many other homeschoolers on this forum:)

To answer your first question, I never stopped school :/ I was behind so I went through the summer

To answer your first question, I never stopped school :/ I was behind so I went through the summer
Ohhhh. That must've been disappointing:/ With homeschooling do you have much extra time in a day, as opposed to like going to school from 8 to 3? My old friend used to wake up and do school from th time she woke up until dinner, then work from dinner until midnight just to get the day's work done. It was crazy, though she really could have done more to finish in a reasonable time (she woke up at like 11, didn't have a good sleep schedule, and just kinda got distracted easy)

Ohhhh. That must've been disappointing:/ With homeschooling do you have much extra time in a day, as opposed to like going to school from 8 to 3? My old friend used to wake up and do school from th time she woke up until dinner, then work from dinner until midnight just to get the day's work done. It was crazy, though she really could have done more to finish in a reasonable time (she woke up at like 11, didn't have a good sleep schedule, and just kinda got distracted easy)
currently I do have around 4-5 hours of free time, thats going to change as soon as I start two classes at my local highschool. Im super nervous, I have never gone to public school before and I'm afraid that I'll be known as a "know it all" or "teachers pet" because I like to answer questions. :/

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back