Anyone else started school yet?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

OliveFish05

Fish Aficionado
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Has anyone else started school yet? If not, when do you all start school? (Those of you still in school, obviously, haha)

I’m doing online courses, so I think it still counts as homeschooling? I was supposed to start last Monday, but we had trouble logging in to my account and setting up my lap top:rofl: So now that I actually have school courses, I’m taking

Apologetics
Earth Science
English 10
Geometry
U.S History
Health and PE

and my elective (the options were very limited for online)

Christian Authors
Creative Writing (I think, that’s next semester)

I’m supposed to start either this week or next week. I don’t want to though. 😣

I’m supposed to start either this week or next week. I don’t want to though. 😣
I’m actually kinda excited to be back to school. I don’t want to be doing the school, I think I’m just excited about how easy a few of my classes are :rofl: and to have online teachers to contact if I need help. But I definitely wish I had a little more summer left

I’m actually kinda excited to be back to school. I don’t want to be doing the school, I think I’m just excited about how easy a few of my classes are :rofl: and to have online teachers to contact if I need help. But I definitely wish I had a little more summer left
Well… I’m homeschooled, so school is definitely a big M E H to me. (I see my siblings and parents 24/7 essentially)

i used to like school bc I got to see friends five days a week (and bc my school had easy work that I could do in 20 min) but now I'm homeschooled and have no friends (I don't think kiwi and avocado would count as friends... the things they would do to me if they could...)

Mrs. Badger and the Badgerling are going to try homeschooling this year. I think they're going to have a great time. My kid is very advanced academically (she has no choice, having two teachers for parents), and my wife is a certified math and science teacher. We live in a very interesting area (tons of history, arts, biology, geology, you name it in and around or community) so tons of hands-on and field-trip potential.

We live in a small town, so friends are nearby, and the Badgerling is going to be running cross country and participating in band, choir, and art club, so she'll still be able to see people besides Mrs. Badger. It seems that there is a certain amount of social ingrowth that can happen if one isn't careful. But I think it's going to be good.

Homeschooling…..😱😱😱😱😱
We’ve had the best part of the last 18 months (on and off due to various stages of lockdowns) and I couldn’t think of anything worse. 5 grandchildren, 4, 6, 8, 13 and 15 and the 13 year olds maths ability is at the very out edges of my comprehension…thank goodness we go back to ‘normal’ Friday 3rd September 🥳🥳🥳

the education system in the US is far too easy and i hate it
i feel like i'm in eternal elementary school at "high school"
i've skipped as many grades as they let me and i'm applying to a local college this year (or next, i've lost count)
and you know the thing that i hate the most? the "teachers" don't like it when you're ahead of the class.
certain amount of social ingrowth
i've been in online school for a bit and haven't actually verbally spoken with anyone besides my parents for years - i'm happy with it 😂

and you know the thing that i hate the most? the "teachers" don't like it when you're ahead of the class.
It doesn't do to generalize about such things. Some teachers are like that, but most teachers are in a tough spot. The emphasis on standardized testing, on getting all students to "proficient" level, means that most teachers are required to teach to the lowest students. Kids that can reach "proficient" on their own are generally expected to do so, because that's what matters on the test. After all that, there are few resources and little time to devote to those kids that are ahead of the class; it's all about getting everyone to average.

Most teachers emphatically do not like this, but that's the way the laws are written/interpreted. I'm hopeful that common sense is starting to break out in some quarters.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back