Anyone Can Help Need To Know What Salt Fish Are Community Fish

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

glad we could help. pictures will help us determine for sure... just hope its not hair algae :crazy:

most likely brown diatom algea. You get it in every new tank setup and it fades in time. Ways to help keep it under control: High flow, low nitrates, and low phosphates. It can take days up to a month before it disapears for good. Soon after will come the green algea. Once you get a bunch of brown and/or the green starts growing is the time to add cleanup crew members.

here is a pic of what is growing
Picture753.jpg

sorry the pic isnt the best , but you can see the brown stuff that looks like algae ?

Diatom bloom, it will go, just keep a check on the nitrate/phosphate levels in the tank. I've had the same thing even though all i've done is moved my 2 year old live rock straight from one tank to another, saltwater aquariums just don't like being messed with.

Yep diatoms. This is a bacteria/algae that feeds on the silicates within the sand and water. Once these silicates are used up it disspears as a new and higher form of algae out competes it.

You'll find that you get it popping up if you do a massive water change or add new sand, anything that contains or leaches silicates, etc. that's why my tank's got it even though the live rock is fully mature.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back