specific gravity 1.023
pH ~8.4

stay on top of the tests the next week or so. you should have:

Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 0-20ppm
specific gravity 1.023
pH ~8.4

thats want my levels are at , and i will stay on top of the testing . thanks great help

What is your actual Nitrate level at?

After only a 2 day cycle then adding 5 fish i'd be interested to know if the 20lbs live rock handled the increased bioload.

Also, with a 90g tank you should be looking at adding around another 70lbs to that to get towards the 1lb per gallon recommendation.

5 damsels (5 of any fish in fact) is an incredibly high number of fish to put in a freshly made tank no matter how mature your liverock is.

You will find your perameters will change in about 3 days.. perhaps 4. Not only is this a bad idea due to the immensie amount of ammonia now being produced, you now have 5 of the most aggressive reef fish (for their size) inyour system. They wil gang up and kill/harrass anything you put in after. Trying ot remove them will probably need a strip down of hte tank or at least the liverock to enable their capture and return to the lfs where you got them.

Marine taqnks need one ingrediant above all others. Patience.... The sayin that "only bad things happen fast in reef tanks " is true and 5 fish is a fast route in indeed :*)

dam fish shop lol , i explained to them that the tank was new and they said it was fine . bastards ! should i get rid of all the fish ? ( hope not or just keep afew ) i have about 30lbs of LR now , will buy more when i can afford it ( start up cost wasnt cheap as you all know ).should i do a 10% water change when the levels start to raise . to try and get it before its in the danger zone ? . sorry for all the newbie questions , but the lfs shops havent been much help !

I would invest in a lot of salt and start mixing. If your levels start spiking then the only thing you can do is regular partial water changes to keep them down. You'll have to be testing your levels every day for the next couple of weeks I would say to keep everything in check. To remove the fish now would be a nightmare and I would only do this if the LFS will take them back, otherwise leave them in and once the tank has cycled remove all the rock and try and catch them all in as short a time as possible. This may cause a mini-spike when the rock is all put back in (depends how long its out of the water for - try and keep it under water while catching the fish if possible) but that can be dealt with easily.

I wanted to buy a star and strips puffer yesterday but the guy at the pet store told me that it would eat my creater my star fish and the rest of them now do you think thats right he said he was not too sure about it so i just wanted to see if anyone could let me know so i dont go buy one and it eats everything :sad:

I think skifletch is referring to coraline eating nitrates. It does but so does liverock. The coraline will hamper the liverock from eating nitreates due to it encrusting on thesurface... basically i dont see that the coraline would do a better job or enhance the system as its holding back the liverock fromdoing its job. Just my personal prefera\nce of course but i hate the stuff :X Of course my tank is plastered in it too :angry:

I think there was a very detailed post on UR regarding the downsides of Coralline Algea on Liverocks capacity of filtration

:D

this is probley another newbie question , but i now have brown growth on my reef sand , power heads ect . is this good ? i now have 50lbs of live rock , did i maybe pick up something bad from the LR ? or is this brown growth what i want to see happen ? tank is has been set up for about 7 days now . :/

Can you take a picture for us? Or if not, describe it in more detail. Does it have texture, thickness, various hues, etc?

i will post a pic asap , but its a light brown/tan in color . and its growning in patches thourgh out the tank ( not on the glass) it has grown pretty quick . i have done a few 10% water changes to keep the parameters in the safe zone . tested today and everything seems to be with in safe levels . i just added another 15lbs of LR 48 hours ago , could this be the the cause ? . it almost looks like alge of some kind , hope everthing is ok ? thanks to eveyone for their time and help , you all have help me out so much

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back