Anyone Can Help Need To Know What Salt Fish Are Community Fish

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

F

Fish Queen 84

Hello i was wondring if anyone could help me i wanted to know what salt water fish are good with diffrent kinds and if i shouldent put serten fish with oter fish if anyone know that could help that would be great thank you :D

Hi and welcome to the Marine forum of TFF.

There are a great number of fish that will get along but as you can imagine there are also a great number that will hate the site of each other. Reef fish tend to be highly territorial so this can be a tricky game indeed for us marine hobbiests. :*)
First of all lets find out what size of tank you were thinking of as this really does dictate the types of fish we can recomend. :/

Hi and welcome to the Marine forum of TFF.

There are a great number of fish that will get along but as you can imagine there are also a great number that will hate the site of each other. Reef fish tend to be highly territorial so this can be a tricky game indeed for us marine hobbiests. :*)
First of all lets find out what size of tank you were thinking of as this really does dictate the types of fish we can recomend. :/

It is 130gl tank it will start out as a fish only tank then slowly change into a reef

OK with 130 gallons you have a good choice of fish to set up as a community.

Shoaling fish,
Anthias. Very good community fish, keep 1 male with about 5 females and they will look stunning. The lyretail is probably the hardiest as the est can be difficult feeders.

Chromis. The most popular are green or blue chromis. They make great shoaling fish and are relatively peaceful. A shoal of about 6 will be good in a tank of your size.

Chalk Bass. Often overlooked but they are very attractive and peaceful fish. They are hardy but they are known to be a little unsafe with small shrimps like sexyshrimps etc.

Other fish
Basslets such as royal grammas are ideal but only keep 1 in your tank as they can be intollerant of others.

Clowns are ideal community fish but dont mix spcies as this will lead to war. The best types are Pers or occelaris or skunk clowns.

Blennies and gobies are great community fish but again, dont try mixing them or have too many in a tank as they are argumentative with other fish of the same family.

Firefish are good and they can be good in shoals. Be aware that they are timid and thismakes them renowned jumpers.

Flasher wrasses. Peaceful wrasse and beautiful to watch.

Angels are great fish for a community tank and make very good "show fish " as a main display feature. They are usually intollerant of other angesl but some success has been had with having more than 1 in a system.

There are of course a great many more than this but i think for now this is a good opener for debate etc. Hope this helps.

Well thank you so much that is alot of help know i know what fish i can get

Thanks alot that should help me out alot know do you know if lionfish are good fish to have in community also that i got a 90gl tank the 130 dident work out so are my choices still pretty good . Tank has fluval 404 then i have the sea clone protein skimmer scps 150 ,aquaclear 70 and 30 power heads i have about 10lbs of live rock. tank is cycling for 2 days now do you think im ready for fish. temp is 75 the salt is at 29ppt ,ph 8.4 so far so good ? thanks for any info you guys rock

have you tested for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates? that will tell you if your tank is cycled and the liverock fully cured. 10lbs of LR is a VERY small amount and will greatly limit your biological capacity. Do you have other baserock for the corraline algae to grow upon and seed over time?

If you choose to stock fish as is, you're going to have to rely heavily on water changes over the long run to keep nitrates out of the water. Also, you might want to consider a specific gravity meter instead of a salinity meter as SG is more important to maintain since its temp dependent.

Finally, a dwarf lionfish is OK with other fish that are not significantly smaller than it. they're extremely predaceous and WILL eat smaller fish like small clowns, gobies, etc. also they're occasionally picky about being fed foods and may take some time before they eat your offerings

OK with 130 gallons you have a good choice of fish to set up as a community.

Shoaling fish,
Anthias. Very good community fish, keep 1 male with about 5 females and they will look stunning. The lyretail is probably the hardiest as the est can be difficult feeders.

Lyretail Anthias must be the nicest looking fish around, a small shoal as Nav has suggested would look excellant :wub: :wub:

Have you thought about any of the Tang Famaily - My Sailfin has always been a well behaved good natured fish and again is a very pretty fish

have you tested for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates? that will tell you if your tank is cycled and the liverock fully cured. 10lbs of LR is a VERY small amount and will greatly limit your biological capacity. Do you have other baserock for the corraline algae to grow upon and seed over time?

Why the hang up over Corraline Algea, I have noticed loads of threads recently going on about it like it is gold :D

We added 10 more lbs of LR and 5 damsel's ,4 hermit crabs ,3 turbo snails.i have not tested the water for nitrite and ammonia, reson i have not because i was told that it was pointless without any fish now should i test it because i grabed fish today or not thanks for helping me another saltwater newb

We added 10 more lbs of LR and 5 damsel's ,4 hermit crabs ,3 turbo snails.i have not tested the water for nitrite and ammonia, reson i have not because i was told that it was pointless without any fish now should i test it because i grabed fish today or not thanks for helping me another saltwater newb

eek, who told you that? the addition of liverock itself can somtimes be enough of a biological load to cause a rise in ammonia and nitrites. stuff on the rock invariably dies during transport (no matter how cured it is). that dead decaying matter creates ammonia, processed into nitrites, and nitrates eventually. test your water parameters IMMEDIATELY to make sure your fish are not in a toxic environment

i tested the water and everything is checking out just fine . my new friends doing very well , everyone is eating and are very active . i will do another set of tests in 24 hours to be safe . thanks for all the help you guys are making this alot easier for me . :)

Most reactions

trending

Back