Anybody Have A Discus Set Up?

simonas

stuck between a rock and a fish tank
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
I'm seriously considering breaking my reef tank down and converting it to a discus set up. I was lying awake in bed last night planning it ( sad I know).. but one thing I have wondered is what would I do with my sump? Would I need an external filter if I had my sump utilised somehow like an external filter and would I need different heaters?

My tanks a aquaone 300 with TMC Leds. I was thinking of cory sterbais, some cardinals and or rummy nose 6 discus and 3 zebra plecs to try and get a pair and breed them.

If you keep discus show me your set ups to inspire me.

I have kept them before on about 3 different occasions over the last 20 years or so but not for about 4 years

Simon

I haven't kept discus but I can answer a few of your questions.
Yes you can use the sump just don't use a skimmer or any other saltwater stuff.
Use some sponges to catch bigger junks just like in a HOB filter and have ceramic or whatever your preferred filter media is.
As long as the heaters are working and clean they will work on freshwater it saltwater.
As for the stocking I'll have to let someone else handle that part of your question since again I've never owned discus.
Hope this was some help and good luck with whatever you choose to go with :)

cheers for the reponses.

I'm happy with stocking but you;ve helped with sump I wasnt sure what I could do with it

Welcome back. I use a freshwater sump as well. Great place to hide kit, increase volume and, as said, it's a great place to dump some filter media.

You can also do freshwater fuges if you like. I've long considered running a cherry shrimp refugium off the main display, with the aim of providing a small quantity of live food as well as having a secondary planted display. I've seen several planted tanks linked into displays of the more boisterous cichlids running off sumps.

One question is, are you thinking of a high tech planted system? There are benefits in gas exchange using a sump overflow, but it gases off CO2 at a fast rate as well, so, while its possible to get good levels, you burn through the gas.

Hi Rob
No I wouldn't want to do high tech planted I fancy something less maintenance than my reef , we shall see if I make the leap.

Ive sold a few corals but there are a few that I'm clinging onto which may mean no change

Don't do it. I kept discus for years. I will not do that again. They are kind of boring fish. They are pretty but boring to watch. I like my angelfish better they are fun fish with personality. Planted tanks can be low maintenance no need for high tech to grow most plants. 

I am breaking down my 100Gal south american tank to make it Saltwater. I have started collecting and researching for my saltwater tank. I will have my 80Gal planted tank with Angels and a 100Gal saltwater tank. I think that will keep me happy for a long time.  

The price for discus is just Crazy. They are over rated IME. They are really pretty fish and people always loved to see them. They get lots of attention.  I had discus for 4 years this is one of the many ways I had the tanks set up for them. easy low maintenance plants and black substrate. 

I miss my Giant Hydro the plant on the right. My Angels like to bite it and I am growing out a rescue Severum and he is killing this plant. 

Most reactions

trending

Back