Any tarantula(spider) owners

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fiddlesticks

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has had a Pet Tarantula.sp??? I am thinking of getting one, and was curious if what I hear is true. That they recognize their owners and are great pets.

I used to have a Goliath Bird Eating Tarantula (Theraphosa blondi)

He did recognise me and always came to the front of the tank, whenever i approached him. He also would flare by raising his fore legs when ever my brother came near him. Yes he made a great pet and I used to go for walks, in the summer, with him on my shoulder. much to the neibourhoods horror :sly:

I think that it is very wise to do loads and loads of research before getting any kind of tarantula, some like mine are poisonus and some can throw the hairs from their abdomin into you face. This causes an anaflactic reaction and can lead to death in some cases.

Study, study and the study some more
99% preperation and 1% persperation is the key here.

Dont worry. I have no intention of rushing into any new pet. And I will do tons of research to find the right one for me. But I will be getting one after reading your thoughts on them. One question though what is anaflactic shock?

Fiddlesticks said:
One question though what is anaflactic shock?
Its an alergic reation that causes you airways to close up,
sometimes to totally close so you can not breath.
It is very dangerouse but also very rare.

danio2004 said:
I used to have a Goliath Bird Eating Tarantula (Theraphosa blondi)
<- JEALOUS!!!!

The reptile store less than a mile from my house has some pink goliath spiderlings. You have no idea how badly I want one. My gf refuses to let me have it though. I have enough as it is....

What species are you lookin at anyway?

Some are much more friendly than others. For a beginner, I would really only recommend the more docile species like pink toes, mexican red knees, or rose hairs. I think rose hairs are probably the best choice for a beginner. They are slow movers, and dont seem to mind being handled too much (its generally not recommended to handle your spiders at all). My first tarantula was actually an Aphonopelma moderatum, or rio gande tarantula. These guys are very slow growers, come from dry desert habitats, and have a fairly long lifespan. I would definately recommend these guys as well (or girls I should say; make sure you get a female). My personal favorite will always be the green bottle blue! But thats probably not the best choice for your first T.

Good luck and make sure you let us know what you decide.

some like mine are poisonus and some can throw the hairs from their abdomin into you face. This causes an anaflactic reaction and can lead to death in some cases

Most, if not all tarantulas will do this. All spiders are venomous even house spiders.

I don't like tarantulas, but this bloke brought loads of spiders into my college, and I held a chile rose. Very cute. Highly recommended.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back