Any potential tank mates for a 10g?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

CuriousFins

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Just out of curiousity, are there any other fish that can be kept with a betta in a medium-planted 10g? Iā€™ve read that cories can work, but Iā€™m a bit cautious about putting any other fish with a betta in just a 10g. But, what are your thoughts?

You should enter your tank in our present Tank of the Month contest.

Just out of curiousity, are there any other fish that can be kept with a betta in a medium-planted 10g? Iā€™ve read that cories can work, but Iā€™m a bit cautious about putting any other fish with a betta in just a 10g. But, what are your thoughts?
Depends on the temperament of the Betta. I wouldn't put any other fish in there, but you might be able to get away with some shrimp.

I've housed a variety of bettas male and female with bronz corydoras catfish and they did fine. I did have a few bettas that didn't do well with snails especially inca (Aka mystery) and Shrimp.

I have a panda Cory with mine, four ghost shrimp, and a pair of mystery snails.
He hates the snails, doesnā€™t seem to mind the Cory, and I actually put five ghost shrimp in there but one of them was pretty tiny and I havenā€™t seen it since I dropped him in I think he may have been eaten.
One of my shrimp appears to be carrying eggs, I donā€™t think those babies would survive in the current scape, I might stick some glass tubes in there so they can hide easier.
As for the Cory, my betta is a male and is currently holding eggs in his nest, thereā€™s a couple sitting in the substrate that he seems to have left behind, the Cory hasnā€™t even tried to eat them, and they eat their own eggs. Your experience probably will be different you might want to get a separate tank for breeding if youā€™re going to keep your betta in a community tank.
AFBED77D-92B7-42DC-A0C8-A7C0FD55C044.jpeg

I think just snails and shrimp. Bettas do well with kuhli loaches, but kuhlis prefer to be in groups in a bigger tank. I would say at least a 20G long.

Just 1 cory? They are shoaling fish which need to be in a group. One on its own will be stressed.
He tends to play with the betta. He will swim all the way up to top water and pop a couple bubbles in the nest and run away, betta gives him chase then returns to the nest.
Heā€™s definitely not even worried about the eggs.
I donā€™t think I have the space for more than 2, MAYBE 3, but Iā€™m not 100% done stocking I was thinking about a few Thai micro crabs.
People tend to say that theyā€™re fine with bettas since they donā€™t really get big enough to cause problems. The store I got Cory the Cory from does have plenty more panda corys about the same size.
I think he stresses the betta more than he is stressed himself, if anything.

h
how has no one mentioned pygmy corys? I have a male betta, 6 pygmy corys, and a successful colony of yellow cherry shrimp in a 10 gallon.

h

how has no one mentioned pygmy corys? I have a male betta, 6 pygmy corys, and a successful colony of yellow cherry shrimp in a 10 gallon.
Pygmy cories tend to dwell in all different layers of the tank, where as many of the more standard size cories are truly bottom dwelling. Pygmy cories higher activity levels and tendency to dart to the surface are far more likely to be an aggravation to the betta. Of course some bettas are super chill with them. While pygmies may be better suited to the smaller tank, I am not sure that they are a better choice for a bettas tank mates.

Pygmy cories tend to dwell in all different layers of the tank, where as many of the more standard size cories are truly bottom dwelling. Pygmy cories higher activity levels and tendency to dart to the surface are far more likely to be an aggravation to the betta. Of course some bettas are super chill with them. While pygmies may be better suited to the smaller tank, I am not sure that they are a better choice for a bettas tank mates.
only really bringing them up because the original poster mentioned corys not being suitable (due to size I'm assuming) so I just assumed that someone would bring up pygmy corys. the original poster mentioning corys also leads me to assume they like corys.

and it does very much depend on the temperament of the betta. but then shrimp it also really depends on the temperament of the betta and a couple people bought them up. my male and female both work well with all species of fish I've tried them with. (male has previously been in my main community tank and now lives with the shrimp and pygmy corys and my female currently lives in my main community tank).

Ive been worrying about this because I'm about to buy some pygmy for my 10gal Betta and was wondering if maybe dwarf or panda Cory's might be a better option.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back