Any need for activated carbon bag in my sump?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

clambert122

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I dont think there is, but thought I would ask.

So it dawned on me the other day that my Carbon bags in my sump are probably screwing up the auto dosing of my other chemicals. I have to micro dosers that pump in a measured amount of chemicals based on my auto water change system of 5 gallons a day.

Well, I got Ick the other day, and started Ick-X which tells you to remove all carbon, which made me think about my other chemicals.

My water reservoir has a carbon bag in it as a pre treatment before going into my tank ( and I have a power head in there pointed right at the carbon bag ) to make sure the water gets moved around.

Based on the fact that there as carbon in my reservoir, and I am treating the water directly in my sump with Seachem Flourish for the plants, and Seachem Prime for water conditioner, I dont really need a carbon back in my tank? Or, would I just put them in the compartment in my sump before the compartment that gets auto dosed? ( 2 chamber sump )

The only time you need carbon in your tank is when you are trying to remove meds or other chemicals from your water. Normally, there's no need for it, and it is often counter-productive.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back