Any luck feeding a Mandarin Dragonet

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

saltman

Reaction score
Hey all I just was given a Beautiful Dragonet Mandarin fish. He is approximatly 3 inches long and seems to be quite healthy. However I introduced him to a fish only tank and I realize that he's a much better reef fish. It has only been 2 days but I've tried pretty much everything but live stuff and he has no interest. He is hiding in the back of the tank for 80% of the day. ??? :sly:

From fishprofiles.com
These fish are delicate and will only feed foods that are present in a well established tank. Nutrient rich live rock ,heavily overgrown with algae, and substantial interstitial crustacean and worm life (ie copepods). It is recommended that one Mandarin per 150gallons is minimal requirement, as there needs to be ample food resources (self-sustaining) to keep these fish from starving. 98% of these fish kept in captivity will perish from starvation within the first 3 months. Minimum tank size: 150 gallons.

From what I had read elsewhere people have managed to get mandarins to accept some foods other than live, but without long term success, the fish cannot survive without sufficient copepods, etc. and will starve as they do not get the nutrients they require.

I would love a mandarin as well, but just not got the correct tank....

Sorry, Eddie

I have one of these. I continally hatch brine for him and the other inhabitants.

Luckily, when he gets hungry enough, he eats the home made food I feed. IT is made primarily of scallops, shrimp, and lobster that I get from the local deli.

And you do need a large reef for their continued well being. They are not appropriate for a fish only tank. A reputeable lfs should take him back as they should be knowledgeable about the health and destination of the fish they sell.

OR, you could give him to me... :D

GL

I guess I will be bringing him back to the lfs in hopes of him finding a more appropriate home. :/

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back