Any Fisherman/women On Here?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

brads

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, I've often wondered how this subject would go down with people on this site. Apart from keeeping tropical fish my other hobbies are watching my local footy team and fishing. I'm a carp angler. Any free day i have to my self I'm on the bank trying to land a big carp. I love it. Their are a few idiots around who don't look after the fish but most carp anglers are respectfull of the health of the fish. All carp go back in the lake. I think you would be very surprised to see how much carpers do care about the welfare of the carp. Carp are very expesive one of the lakes I fish bought six twenty pound carp at £1000 each. Carp are very clever i'ts not like sea fishing where they bite anything, with carp you have to trick the fish into taking your bait. I've spent many hours on the bank and not caught a single thing then go up there the next day and catch all day.

I'm probably going to get a bit of a bashing from some people on here but I think we might be surprised.
some people may find it cruel.I for one when I've landed a carp on the bank do treat the fish and put it back.

Brads.........tin hat on

i'm with you on this.
i'm a life long angler that'll have a go at catching anything.
there is nothing better than sitting by the waterside with a rod in your hand.

I personaly have no problem with ppl like you who catch the fish treat it with respect it deserves and releases it again. There is a place where my partner goes where they have very expensive fish and when they catch the they treat them with something to stop infection and place them back.
The ppl i dont like are the ppl that go having no clue abuse the fish and think it is all good fun and it doesnt matter about the fish. well they are wrong and if i ever saw any fisherman/woman behaving inappropriatly then they would have me to deal with! i would shuv that rod so far up their A*Se they wouldn't know what had happened!!

I personaly have no problem with ppl like you who catch the fish treat it with respect it deserves and releases it again. There is a place where my partner goes where they have very expensive fish and when they catch the they treat them with something to stop infection and place them back.
The ppl i dont like are the ppl that go having no clue abuse the fish and think it is all good fun and it doesnt matter about the fish. well they are wrong and if i ever saw any fisherman/woman behaving inappropriatly then they would have me to deal with! i would shuv that rod so far up their A*Se they wouldn't know what had happened!!

I agree - my husband fishes alot and always tries to drag me along, even though i will only go when its sunny so i can sunbathe! its quite a buzz though when something big is caught!

I've been an angler for as long as i've been able to hold a fishing rod, freshwater match angling is my main thing but i also enjoy a bit of barbel and tench fishing and some sea fishing from the beach.

I disagree about the carp being clever, they get wary after being caught every day for the first 10 years of their life and larger specimins are more cautious of fishing tackle but at the end of the day they are such gluttonous pigs that if you throw enough bait at them they forget all about it and get caught, all carp want to do is eat and grow.
There is a lot more water craft needed in sea angling than there is on any lake, the sea is vast and it requires knowledge and skill to know where to put a bait where it will catch fish, without good water craft skills you will spend many long boring blank nights on a beach while the anglers in the know pull out fish after fish.

I also sea fish but I feel carp fishing is much more rewarding. When I was a kid I spent most of my childhood on a boat with my dad and his mates. I find sea fishing much easier. There is still alot of water craft needed on lakes.

Brads

you guys arent going to like this one:(

i am an avid angler in the united states. i have a 17 foot ranger bass boat in the garage and enough gear to sink it. fishing is the most relaxing thing ive ever known and will one day be that old man sitting on a bucket, fishing away through the night.

i fish for walleye and bass. catfish are very fun, especialy flat head comming in at 30 lbs+.

now, as for carp. There have been days where ive bee so excited to catch some carp because they fight so hard. there are two local spillways where the carp are always caught. but here, people dont treausure them. to me carp is a garbage fish and they really make me mad when i accidently snag them, and at the turn of a tail, they break my line! if you fish around here its not uncommon to see anglers throwing 20 lb carps on the shore for them to never be caught again. it doesnt bother me very much, but if i was to see walleyes or bass being treated like this i would flip.

ps- do you guys living in europe fish for zander???? theyre like walleyes right??

There is water craft in all aspects of angling if you are to be successfull but on lakes and and even most rivers the tell tale signs of where the fish will be are easily visable and above the water, an over hanging tree, the tip of an island, a weed bed and even the fish themselves rolling or blowing will indicate where the fish patrol and feed. On a beach often all you have is a few miles of sand/shingle and the sea as far as the eye can see, it takes years of knowledge to be able to tell where the underwater gullies formed by the waves and tides are or where the sea bed shallows up because of rocks or a reef just by looking at the waves and direction of the currents.

It takes very little skill to sit in a bivvy for days on end firing buckets of high protein baits into a lake while waiting for an electronic alarm to tell you if you have a bite.

You know how they say there are fishermen and men that fish? Well, I fish. If it weren't for Michigan's ridiculous laws about keeping native fish in tanks, I'd get some unbarbed hooks and start working on a bluegill tank.

There is water craft in all aspects of angling if you are to be successfull but on lakes and and even most rivers the tell tale signs of where the fish will be are easily visable and above the water, an over hanging tree, the tip of an island, a weed bed and even the fish themselves rolling or blowing will indicate where the fish patrol and feed. On a beach often all you have is a few miles of sand/shingle and the sea as far as the eye can see, it takes years of knowledge to be able to tell where the underwater gullies formed by the waves and tides are or where the sea bed shallows up because of rocks or a reef just by looking at the waves and direction of the currents.

It takes very little skill to sit in a bivvy for days on end firing buckets of high protein baits into a lake while waiting for an electronic alarm to tell you if you have a bite.

Do I sense a little bit of a dig......... each to there own........ one of the skills is not to bait up to much cos that spooks the carp..... but what do I know I've only been carping for 12 years. there are skills needed in every aspect of fishing. Sea fisherman and fresh water anglers always have this debate. As I said I dabble in both but I prefer carping. Who cares about what takes the most skill as long as you enjoy what you are doing. One of the beat days out for me was congering in cornwall.... no skill needed just strength cos they put up one hell of a fight.

i fish for catfish in the local lakes. i.e hook pretty much on the bottom. man they put up a fight, im only 16 and me and my mate have to grab each other and cling on. in that lake there is a 7 footer as it was caught last year! (not be me tho)!!!

I used to fish when I was young - generally for carp but I'd take what I could get, stuff like tench, perch, rudd etc. I've done a bit of sea fishing (a couple of nights worth) and preferred that - but I've got a love affair with the sea. If I'm in, on or near it I'm happy. Which is an issue in rural Hertfordshire :)

I looked at getting back into course fishing not long ago but it seemed to be very much more technological than I remember - and expensive to get set up, accordingly.

I'd love to look into getting into sea fishing but a) I'm 2 hours drive from the sea and b) I have little enough free time as it is.

Side note: the question of whether or not people who keep fish object to angling has been asked a few times in my time on the forum. The answers always no - most people know that fishing isn't generally detrimental to a fishes health.

I have no problem with people who fish and then eat the fish, but I see no point in fishing and then throwing the fish back, poor things! I am vegetarian so i would not fish at all as I would not eat my catch. And personally I find the idea of catching fish repugnant, because I love my fish so much and just cannot reconcile it in my head.

I love fishing. I often fish the beach or my local rivers, and release 90% of the fish i catch. I will occasionally take a couple home for dinner for myself and my wife. But i certainly don't fish for carp, they are a noxious pest here that have greatly reduced native fish numbers in many waterways. It is actually illegal to release them if you catch one, with heavy penalties if you do. Thousands are netted out of the rivers every year and used to make fertiliser.
I don't see any connection between fishing and fish keeping, just like i wouldn't see anything unusual about someone who occasionally hunted wildfowl for sport or food, and kept and bred poultry or aviary birds at home. Or take the example of one of my neighbours, who often goes out hunting rabbits, while at the same time his family have several domestic ones as pets!

Most reactions

trending

Back