Any Didgeridoo Players Here?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Noahs ark6

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi

I was wondering if there is any didgeridoo players on here?
I'm wanting to start having a go (for around £20 for one, it's not a life changing decision) and was wanting some thoughts on which didgeridoo to go for. I've wittled it down to two. This (num. 1), or this (num. 2). Which will make a clearer, nicer sound?

Hi

I'm wanting to start having a go (for around £20 for one, it's not a life changing decision) and was wanting some thoughts on which didgeridoo to go for. I've wittled it down to two. This (num. 1), or this (num. 2). Which will make a clearer, nicer sound?

Didgeridoo player, that would be me then. I have a termite-hollowed didge that I bought direct from Oz, by the time I had it in my hands the £145 didgeridoo turned into £245 due to shipping, import duty and VAT on the lot (money-grabbing British VATstards).

Now, as to what type of didge to get for your first foray in to the world of the one-note; well neither of the above for a start. The reason I say this is that they are just bamboo with a bit of decoration and probably cost about three quid to make and the mouthpieces are rubbish. For a first didge you need to make your own and it will cost you between 50p and £1.50.

You will need beeswax (loads of places to buy it online) and a length of 40mm PVC pipe from Jewsons or suchlike. You will then need to look Here at the Didgeshop and he will tell you the length of pipe you require and how to form a mouthpiece. You would need to get beeswax for the didges you looked at anyway so you could make a better mouthpiece. These PVC pipe didgeridoos make a really nice sound and the fun is you can get more pipe at different lengths to make different pitch didges for very little money. If you like what sounds you make then you can look into buying a real good didge and if you don't then it hasn't cost you much.

Hope that helps.

Martin

PS Yes, I can circular breathe (for them that don't know, that's continuing to blow out while taking a breath in through your nose therefore keeping the note going. I can tell you how to practice that when you've got an instrument although you'll find all this info and tons more on that website above.

Hi

Didgeridoo player, that would be me then. I have a termite-hollowed didge that I bought direct from Oz, by the time I had it in my hands the £145 didgeridoo turned into £245 due to shipping, import duty and VAT on the lot (money-grabbing British VATstards).

Now, as to what type of didge to get for your first foray in to the world of the one-note; well neither of the above for a start. The reason I say this is that they are just bamboo with a bit of decoration and probably cost about three quid to make and the mouthpieces are rubbish. For a first didge you need to make your own and it will cost you between 50p and £1.50.

You will need beeswax (loads of places to buy it online) and a length of 40mm PVC pipe from Jewsons or suchlike. You will then need to look Here at the Didgeshop and he will tell you the length of pipe you require and how to form a mouthpiece. You would need to get beeswax for the didges you looked at anyway so you could make a better mouthpiece. These PVC pipe didgeridoos make a really nice sound and the fun is you can get more pipe at different lengths to make different pitch didges for very little money. If you like what sounds you make then you can look into buying a real good didge and if you don't then it hasn't cost you much.

Hope that helps.

Martin

PS Yes, I can circular breathe (for them that don't know, that's continuing to blow out while taking a breath in through your nose therefore keeping the note going. I can tell you how to practice that when you've got an instrument although you'll find all this info and tons more on that website above.
Great advice, thanks. :good:
I've got the idea of circular breathing and can just about do it a tiny bit.

Try the didgeridoo forum :rolleyes:
I'm not going to spend the time joining a didge forum just for one question :good:

I heard Rolf Harris giving great advice on how to practice circular breathing once: " Try it with a glass of water and a straw, because then if you don't get it right, you drown!" :hey:

I heard Rolf Harris giving great advice on how to practice circular breathing once: " Try it with a glass of water and a straw, because then if you don't get it right, you drown!" :hey:

Yes, but he was drunk at the time and forgot to say you have to be outside the water, not in it!! :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back