Any Alternative To Tahitian Moon Sand?

invader

I'm a girl.
Joined
Dec 19, 2005
Messages
2,104
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Location
Orlando, FL, USA
I've been thinking of changing my 125gl to black sand, instead of the natural sand. The only kind I can find is the tahitian moon sand, which is $20 for 20lb... a bit pricey if you ask me. Does anyone know of any alternatives of black sand brands (haha that sounds interesting) that aren't so expensive?
 
3M is the brand. They make reflector tape and a whole bunch of other stuff. This colorquartz stuff is supposed to be for swimming pools, but ive heard it works great in aquariums.
 
3M is the brand. They make reflector tape and a whole bunch of other stuff. This colorquartz stuff is supposed to be for swimming pools, but ive heard it works great in aquariums.
i have never used colored pool filter sand, but i have used regular pool filter sand, and it works great. i get 50lbs for $5! not a bad deal eh?
 
Has anyone else used the 3M colored sand in their tanks? I'm a little nervous about adding it as I'm not sure about the granite mineral in it and the dye used to color it.
 
3M is the brand.
Sorry, I typed that all wrong. :blush: I knew it was the brand, but I wanted to know what the difference in the two sizes were. I mean, one brand is "fine" but I don't know if that means "dusty" lol or "sandy".

Has anyone else used the 3M colored sand in their tanks?
I would also like to know this. If anyone hasn't tried it, I might try it out with ghost shrimp or something, then if they are ok, I'll try feeder guppies or something (as much as I hate to put animals in danger, someone has to try it...)
 
I used the colorquartz in my tank. It looks great, doesn't compact, doesn't get moved much by flow (less than pool filter sand), and I've seen acceptable plant growth with just root tabs. I believe I have the S grade (it's the perfectly spherical one). The particle size is relatively small, but amazingly uniform.

The only negative is that it does need a very thorough washing. It tends to have a lot of dust out of the bag.

It has been up for a year with only the loss of 2 older platies. I have 6 rainbowfish, 2 bristlenoses, 1 otto, and a dozen botine loaches all been in there since shortly after startup. You shouldn't see any issues with it. There is some cichlid forum with an huge thread dedicated to these tanks where I originally found out about the product.
 
I used the colorquartz in my tank. It looks great, doesn't compact, doesn't get moved much by flow (less than pool filter sand), and I've seen acceptable plant growth with just root tabs. I believe I have the S grade (it's the perfectly spherical one). The particle size is relatively small, but amazingly uniform.

The only negative is that it does need a very thorough washing. It tends to have a lot of dust out of the bag.

It has been up for a year with only the loss of 2 older platies. I have 6 rainbowfish, 2 bristlenoses, 1 otto, and a dozen botine loaches all been in there since shortly after startup. You shouldn't see any issues with it. There is some cichlid forum with an huge thread dedicated to these tanks where I originally found out about the product.
lol read that thread whilst looking into this! :hyper:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top