Anubias Question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Binge

Fish Crazy
Reaction score

stuffs 694 by lordtwist2, on Flickr

I was told this is a type of anubias when I baught it. It is currently planted in sand and flourishing quite well once I started using fertalizer tabs in teh tank. From whatn I have read though it should be on driftwood. I was curious about some advice on how I should bind it to the driftwood since it has a huge and elaborite root structure on it almost as big as the top part of the plant itself.

It will be fine in the sand as long as the rhizome (the stem-like structure where the leaves meet the roots) is not buried. This is where the plant takes in a lot of its nutrients and it will die if it gets buried. But, tied on to driftwood or any porous surface it will attach on with the roots and this eliminates the risk of killing it in the sand. But it seems like you have done fine with it!

It will be fine in the sand as long as the rhizome (the stem-like structure where the leaves meet the roots) is not buried. This is where the plant takes in a lot of its nutrients and it will die if it gets buried. But, tied on to driftwood or any porous surface it will attach on with the roots and this eliminates the risk of killing it in the sand. But it seems like you have done fine with it!

Ok thank you I was worried the roots would rot, I keep the stalk just a bit above the sand and let the roots show, My bichirs love this thing they curl up around the Rhizome and perche on the leaves. I just got a new plant a week ago I forget the name but they love it too. and its huge almost a landscape in itself.

stuffs 697 by lordtwist2, on Flickr

when it spread out in my tank I was in awe.

That looks like a Cryptocoryne of some sort, but neing a newbie to plants I am quite likely very wrong. Hope someone either confirms or corrects me :) Great plant though.

That looks like a Cryptocoryne of some sort, but neing a newbie to plants I am quite likely very wrong. Hope someone either confirms or corrects me :) Great plant though.
I may also be wrong but I used to have one and it is some kind of sword I THINK. Either way nice plant! I loved it but I put it in my pond to get some boosted sunlight and I forgot about my turtle. Next day it was just some chewed up roots left.

You can tie your plant to driftwood (or whatever) with cotton sewing thread (use a color to match the background and it wont look too odd). By the time the thread has rotted away, the plant should be rooted to the driftwood/etc. Fishing line works too though it doesnt dissolve and has to be cut away.:)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back