What's new

Another shot at a pond

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
đŸ¶ Click here to enter! 🐰

Benji k

Fishaholic
Reaction score
So my last pond was a fail I was trying to breed dumbo guppy’s but I couldn’t find any females. but the pond was in sun most the day it grew so much algae and all the plants dies so I’m probably going to get a 30 gal tub from Bunnings and put it in a shady place this time but does anyone have any recommendations on what plants to use and what fish to breed in it.

So my last pond was a fail I was trying to breed dumbo guppy’s but I couldn’t find any females. but the pond was in sun most the day it grew so much algae and all the plants dies so I’m probably going to get a 30 gal tub from Bunnings and put it in a shady place this time but does anyone have any recommendations on what plants to use and what fish to breed in it.
I like water sprite. It can be floated or planted in the substrate. If this is your first breeding endeavor, go for something easier like guppies. Just make sure that its not in direct sunlight.

I like water sprite. It can be floated or planted in the substrate. If this is your first breeding endeavor, go for something easier like guppies. Just make sure that its not in direct sunlight.
Yeah I tried dumbo guppy’s last time I’m going to try somthing harder and that’s native to we’re I live. And I did use water sprite last time but it was floated and it died I was thinking some pothos or some other plants that I just stick the roots in or maybe I can plants Some ambulia. But the reason I want to try rainbow fish is because I won’t need to do much maintenance because ther native to Australia.

Yeah I tried dumbo guppy’s last time I’m going to try somthing harder and that’s native to we’re I live. And I did use water sprite last time but it was floated and it died I was thinking some pothos or some other plants that I just stick the roots in or maybe I can plants Some ambulia. But the reason I want to try rainbow fish is because I won’t need to do much maintenance because ther native to Australia.
Unless you are doing a smaller rainbow like the neon dwarf rainbowfish, a thirty-gallon pond will be too small. Temperature is also a concern. No lower than 74 and no higher than 78.

Medakas are nice little fish, and will live in a temperature range from 3 to 40 degrees.
Tho I've never had a problem with my rainbows (sorry don't know what type, it was years ago I first got them) or pacific blue eyes with temperature.
Winter will sieve some of them out, but they breed so readily it's usually the weak that go.
Your danger area will be summer, as you get pretty hot up there. Especially if the bin is sitting on concrete.
But if you have lots of rocks and pot plants around your pond that will keep it a bit cooler. You can water around the pots and rocks to keep them cool when it gets really hot.
And a 100 litre will be fine as long as you don't overstock it to begin with. Probably a good idea to get your plants established a bit then get your fish. As I said in other post, water reeds and bacopa are easy and will grow readily.
You have a lady who breeds medakas up your way, she has black, gold, white and orange.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back