Another Java Fern Question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Olive

Fish Herder
Reaction score
So the little babies that are growing at the end of the Java ferns...............will they eventually get really big...........big enough for me to take them off and make new plants with them? I have one leaf with several babies on it.....should I just stick it in the gravel attached to the mother plant still and see how the babies do? There are little roots shooting off everywhere.........I am really enjoying these little guys. :wub: They really seem to like my tank...................

They will either break off on their own and float around the tank til they get lodged somewhere or you can take them off and put them somewhere.

I prefer to let them break off on their own. Sometimes they lodge somewhere i want them to take hold and sometimes they just float around and i end up tossing them out.

Agree with Mustang, let them develop as much as possible and fall off themselves.

mine came with one growing off it... theyre soo cute but now the little babies in the bin... i didnt need him lol

wow don't throw anymore away! send them to me!!! i will pay the post!!!! :D

Doh!
So thats what those were. :blink: I was getting frustrated by what I thought was java moss that had attached to the undersides of my java fern, so I painstakingly removed them all and then noticed that they didn't look like java moss. :crazy: :fun:

Live and learn. :D

I've had quite a few break off lately. One 1 actually lodged under my driftwood and attached. The rest usually get sucked into my filters where i eventually toss em. My java fern is growing so fast i don't really need more.

I had to toss about 4-5 Amazon Sword baby plants the other day. My 18" sword sent up two runners and about 6-7 baby plants started growing from it. I planted two of them and threw the rest out. I would have given them away but i wasn't thinking

Mustang5L5 said:
I've had quite a few break off lately. One 1 actually lodged under my driftwood and attached. The rest usually get sucked into my filters where i eventually toss em. My java fern is growing so fast i don't really need more.

I had to toss about 4-5 Amazon Sword baby plants the other day. My 18" sword sent up two runners and about 6-7 baby plants started growing from it. I planted two of them and threw the rest out. I would have given them away but i wasn't thinking
OH THE HORROR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

seriously, keep me in mind! I will pay the post if you ship them to me! I may even pay something for them if you need me to! :nod:

You got it. My Amazon sword is growing like crazy like it hit a growth spurt or something so it will prob send up some more runners soon. I'll let ya know ahead of time

Mustang5L5 said:
You got it. My Amazon sword is growing like crazy like it hit a growth spurt or something so it will prob send up some more runners soon. I'll let ya know ahead of time
SNOOPY DANCE!!!!! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

reading this... i want to ask a question... I have a sword plant with a ton on little leaves growing from the middle of the plant. There are a ton of large leaves, and these little guys. Could I split the plant in half and make 2 plants out of it?

I'm not sure about doing that. I know you can do that with acorus, but I think you'll kill the plant if you damage the crown.

As for the ferns, I dislodged one to see if it'd die if I replanted it. It doesn't seem to be growing at all, though. I moved it from a 5 gallon tank with incandescent lighting to an unshaded spot in my 55 gallon tank. Any ideas?

Also, one of the mother leaves of the plantlets turned black and looked dead, so I ripped it off (came off by itself, really) and placed the entire leaf under the gravel in my 55. I'm hoping the dying leaf will supply nutients and that the plantlets will take root in the gravel. Do you think that'll work?

canoechiq said:
reading this... i want to ask a question... I have a sword plant with a ton on little leaves growing from the middle of the plant. There are a ton of large leaves, and these little guys. Could I split the plant in half and make 2 plants out of it?
No, those are new leaves for the sword itself. Can't make a new plant from that.

The sword will either send out a runner under the gravel and a new sword will pop up from that (you can cut and transplant at that point) or the sword will send a stalk up the the surface and baby swords will grow off that. When they start trailing roots down, then you can cut and transplant them

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back