Another dead baby goldfish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I also fed mine 3 -4 times a day with the fry food. I have to agree Colin_T that they should be out of the danger zone by now. Are you adding any vitamins to the food? Have you seen them pooping?

The Tetra Pond pellets have vitamins in the ingredients list. I'm not adding vitamins to the gel food. What vitamins would be suitable for goldfish?

I am definitely cleaning poop off the tank floor, and sometimes I see poop in the process of coming out of a fish. With nearly 300 fish, I am not able to monitor and know if *every* fish is pooping.

The Tetra Pond pellets have vitamins in the ingredients list. I'm not adding vitamins to the gel food. What vitamins would be suitable for goldfish?

I am definitely cleaning poop off the tank floor, and sometimes I see poop in the process of coming out of a fish. With nearly 300 fish, I am not able to monitor and know if *every* fish is pooping.
I’m talking to Gypsy13. She wants to know if you are transitioning the fish to winter food.

Without a colour chart to compare the phials too, all I see is a urine sample, and a number of really unhealthy urine samples. Sorry couldn't resist :)

-----------------------
The fish in picture 89311 is pretty deformed but does not show any signs of disease.
The fish in picture 89313 looks like it would have grown into a nice normal fish but it is red around the gills, which could be something in the water.

-----------------------
You could try adding a tropical fish flake or pellet to their diet. It has more protein than goldfish food and that is better for young fish.

I don't recommend feeding garlic or onion or onion relatives to fish because they have a chemical in them that is toxic to most animals including fish and people.

I’m talking to Gypsy13. She wants to know if you are transitioning the fish to winter food.

No, do indoor fish need to be transitioned to winter food? The ones in the basement, where the temperature is usually in the 50s to low 60s Fahrenheit, get Tetra Pond Spring and Fall Diet and not much else during winter. (Winter hasn't really arrived here yet. It's raining liquid water today.) The dead fish have all been in the big tank in the living room, where the temperature is mid-60s.

Without a colour chart to compare the phials too, all I see is a urine sample, and a number of really unhealthy urine samples. Sorry couldn't resist :)

-----------------------
The fish in picture 89311 is pretty deformed but does not show any signs of disease.
The fish in picture 89313 looks like it would have grown into a nice normal fish but it is red around the gills, which could be something in the water.

-----------------------
You could try adding a tropical fish flake or pellet to their diet. It has more protein than goldfish food and that is better for young fish.

I don't recommend feeding garlic or onion or onion relatives to fish because they have a chemical in them that is toxic to most animals including fish and people.

Here's a color chart for the API test kit I use: https://goo.gl/images/XLC8aS

It's the same fish in both pictures. It had been lying dead on one side for an unknown length of time before I found it. That side probably appears deformed due to lividity.

Do you have references about garlic being bad for goldfish? I've always read that it's good for them, and Garlic Guard is sold as a remedy.

According to the test phials, the only issue with your water is a bit of nitrate (around 40ppm) and that shouldn't be a big issue.

-----------------------
I don't have a reference for garlic and fish but I read it somewhere years ago. I know there are products for fish that contain garlic but fish never evolved to eat root vegetables like potatoe, onion & garlic. And the chemicals in garlic and onions can irritate the eyes, intestines and possibly even the gills. There is garlic in some dog food too and dogs can't tolerate it either.

If I recall correctly, there was some research done that suggested refined garlic extract was safer but the raw product was more dangerous but again it was a long time ago.

-----------------------
Goldfish kept indoors in an average house do not need a dietary change in the cooler weather. Just reduce the frequency of the feeding if the water gets really cold. But in a normal house they will usually eat every day.

Last edited:
How many fish in what size tank? I’m sorry, I forgot.

-----------------------

-----------------------

Garlic is highly recommended for fish as it helps boost their immunities. Garlic Gauard by Seachem is sold specifically for fish. I’ve never heard of feeding them onion but garlic juice and minced garlic are often used in the aquatic hobby.

-----------------------

-----------------------

I just read the people part of your comment in garlic. I worked in healthcare for 32 years and Garlic was found to be beneficial in a number of ways in human consumption. Onion has been found to make some canine ill.

How many fish in what size tank? I’m sorry, I forgot.

75 gallon tank. Originally 293 fish put in September 5th. Since then about 94 have been divided among three smaller tanks, and three are known to have died, so a little under 200 left in the 75 gallon, which gets partial water changes twice a day.

75 gallon tank. Originally 293 fish put in September 5th. Since then about 94 have been divided among three smaller tanks, and three are known to have died, so a little under 200 left in the 75 gallon, which gets partial water changes twice a day.
Ok. I’m on with Gypsy again so let me see what she says. She does want me to reassure that garlic is safe and beneficial to fish. Back in a jif!

These are her replies. One thing is doing two water changes a day is going to stress them after a while. It’s good in emergencies but not as a usual course of action.

Parameters aren’t the biggest issue with too many water changes. It’s the constant up and down of the ph and water hardness.

Also, fish with lower immune systems will be the ones to suffer the negative affects. She also feels you are way overstocked in that tank and water changes aren’t the answer. Hope this helps some. She can’t reply herself because she can’t maneuver this site well. If you’d like me to ask her anything else, just let me know.

I just read the people part of your comment in garlic. I worked in healthcare for 32 years and Garlic was found to be beneficial in a number of ways in human consumption. Onion has been found to make some canine ill.

Here is information about dangers of garlic and onion for dogs and cats: https://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/garlic/

I'm rushing right now and don't have time to look up information about humans or goldfish, but I have read the same as you about garlic being beneficial for both. Maybe Colin_T read about it being bad for some other kind of fish?

These are her replies. One thing is doing two water changes a day is going to stress them after a while. It’s good in emergencies but not as a usual course of action.

Parameters aren’t the biggest issue with too many water changes. It’s the constant up and down of the ph and water hardness.

Yes I am well aware that it is overstocked, I just don't know what to do about it! I would really appreciate some help with rehoming these little guys. I won't allow them to be sold as feeders.

I can test water hardness later, but I can tell you now that the pH readings I am getting when I test the used tank water are the same as what I get when I test plain tap water.

Thanks so much for facilitating responses from Gypsy!

Got to run. Back tomorrow night.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back