Angels

MAM

Mamalammadingdong
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
i'm sure the answer to this question is hidden amongst the posts somewhere, but i just couldnt find it so i'm asking

interested in getting two angels (and no more). is there any sort of combo rule like male and female, two females, two males, doesn't really matter?

also, and i'm guessing i already know that answer but ahve to ask anyway, would two angels be in any way compatible with a dwarf gourami, or would that be just asking for trouble?

You could get a pair. I don't know how successful it would be to get same sex and even the first pair you try might not work out either. I wouldn't add a gourami to the mix tho, I've heard of fights happening with that combo. Maybe some peaceful fish that don't nip finnage and are bigger than the angels mouth.

I don't know how successful it would be to get same sex and even the first pair you try might not work out either.

If you are getting them young then you might be better off getting a few and letting them choose amongst themselves as they grow, so that you end up with a pair. I'm not familiar with Angels by any stretch, but with most cichlids this is the best way to achieve desired m/f ratios.

thecichlidaddict said:
I don't know how successful it would be to get same sex and even the first pair you try might not work out either.

If you are getting them young then you might be better off getting a few and letting them choose amongst themselves as they grow, so that you end up with a pair. I'm not familiar with Angels by any stretch, but with most cichlids this is the best way to achieve desired m/f ratios.
I agree but she said...

interested in getting two angels (and no more).

That's why I mentioned that. Your way certainly is better and one I always recommend also in any other circumstance.

thanks guys. i may try getting a few smaller ones to start until they pair off. i know a lfs that will take the others off my hands for store credit so that won't be a problem. i'm not really interested in a breeding pair necessarily, but if they aren't a male and female would two of the same sex tend to not get along so well??

MANY_A_MOLLY said:
thanks guys. i may try getting a few smaller ones to start until they pair off. i know a lfs that will take the others off my hands for store credit so that won't be a problem. i'm not really interested in a breeding pair necessarily, but if they aren't a male and female would two of the same sex tend to not get along so well??
If your interested MAM I can send you a few of my koi babies. All I ask is that you pay shipping everything else is on the house. This goes to everyone else interested. I have roughly 30 left dime size and under.

OH OH OH Knucklehead..... PICK ME!!!! :D I would LOVE to have a couple of your babies......any idea how much shipping would cost to San Diego, CA (92102)???

I just lost the female Koi I had and would really like to replace her. Her mate is totally lost and I'm afraid he's not going to be happy until I get him another mate. He just kind of hangs out in the corner :(

Many A Molly, the best fish, I have discovered through research, to put with Angels is the fish they school with naturally in the wild......Mesonauta Festivum, sometimes called a Flag Cichlid. Some other fish are also called Flags by the LFS's, so be careful about which one it really is. And I'm not sure, but Mesonauta may have been changed????? But I'm not good with scientific names, so??

I would be glad to post a picture of mine, however, I can't do it in this forum. I will post a message to you on the picture forum and you can look at her(?) there. :)

knucklehead, thanks for the offer but i will have to pass. i'm not sure when i'll want to get them, and i'm one of those anal picky people who has to plant themselves in front of the lfs tank for an hour and watch the fish before i chose the exact ones i want :lol: . that and i have my heart set on the black and white marbled like ones.

mamaschild, thanks for the info. will look up some info on that cichlid. :)

When i got my second angle they fought for a while but then they started to get along. The fighting eventually went away after they had there territories. As for the dwarf, i had my 2 in a 29 with a dwarf and it was fine as long as the dwarf had hiding spots. Now the angels are in my 5 wit my Blue, Gold, Opaline, and Giant Gouramis there is still no fighting between angels and gouramis (there is plenty of fighting between gouramis, but nothing fatal).. Good Luck

I have 3 angels in a 20T and 4 in a 30T and they all get along well. Most I got at the same time, but 3 of them I got at other times. The only time I've had any aggression out of them was when I tried to add some of my fancy tail guppies in one of the tanks. Didn't take long to have to net the poor guppies back out and return them to their other tank.

Maybe if you add all the fish to the tank at the same time it won't be a problem.
Good luck!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back