Angelfish With Prolapse That Looks Infected

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

jonozee

Reaction score
My half-black Angelfish has a pinkish protrusion in what looks like oviposterior area.  I only have 1 angel, and the protrustion is too big to be a sex organ.  The fish is about 3.5 - 4" in diameter.  Its been acting a little sick, hiding somewhat and seemingly less eager to feed at times.

I noticed it on tuesday, and today it is covered with a fuzzy coating, like a cotton ball.

I don't have pictures to post yet, nor do I have water readings for you.

It's likely that I have been over-feeding and that has caused constipation, and the prolapse.

I have done lots of reading on the subject today and it looks like I should stop feeding for a few days and then introduce some peeled peas and brine shrimp.

My urgent concern is about the apparent infection:  Should I begin treatment for Bacterial or Fungal infection, or both?  It seems likely that it is a bacterial infection, coming from the intestines, but I really dont know.

Other tank details:  37 Gallons, 8 Diamond Tetras, 1 Pepper Cory.
I have no ability to set up and maintain a hospital tank, but if I find the resources, what is the minimum size I should consider?

Any advice at all is appreciated.

There is not much you can do other than keep the water clean and hope that it goes back on its own, which sometimes it can do.

Thanks Star4.

I did a 50% PWC last night.  Got home too late to stop my wife from feeding them.  The fuzzyness on the protrusion is now mostly gone and the Angel is not really behaving much different than usual.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

Success!  Very late in posting a resolution, but I'm hoping that anyone with a similar problem in the future will be able to use this advice.

I withheld food for three days and then gave the tank an antifungal treatment.  Tablets that dissolved and turned the tank yellow green.  I removed the filters for this and let it sit for four days before doing a 25% PWC and putting the filters back in.

My Angelfish is almost completely cured.  The fuzziness went away, and the protrusion / prolapse is hard to see now.  His demeanor is also back to normal.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back