Angelfish Stocking in a 45 gallon?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Kellene

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I have a 45 gallon tank (36 inches long, 24-ish inches tall, and 12 inches deep) and I am almost ready to add fish. Could I put two angelfish in, or just one? Are angels compatible with dwarf gourami, if they were added into the tank at the same time? I plan on having a moderately or heavily planted tank, by the way. Does anyone have any stocking suggestions? I definitely want at least one angel. I plan on also having peppered Cory cats, and either some female platy or large tetras. Thank you!

Angelfish are shoaling fish by nature, meaning that they live in groups and have relationships within the group. A group of at least five angelfish ensures that no one fish is likely to be picked on within the hierarchy, though there is no guarantee. Five angelfish means a larger tank, at least four feet in length. So I would not go this route here.

As for two angelfish, this will usually only work if they are a bonded pair. With angelfish, the fish must select their mates; a male and female thrown together by the aquarist may work, but most often it results in a dead fish. Determining male/female is not easy anyway, and two males is a certain recipe for disaster; females sometimes live together, sometimes not. I would not have two unless they have bonded. To determine this, you have to observe them carefully in the tank of the group.

As for a single angelfish, some do have luck with this. I don't personally recommend it simply because it is contrary to what the fish is programmed to expect and live with, and I am against keeping fish like this. Stress may cause the fish to become more aggressive, which could spell trouble for the other fish in the tank.

Angelfish and gourami are not a good mix, unless the tank is very large. Males of both species are very similar, territorial. Again, some do this regardless and say it seems to work, but it is a risk best avoided. If you do decide on a single angelfish regardless, I would not have gourami.

Leaving out angels, this is a tank suited to Pearl Gourami. This is rather a peaceful species, and one or two males with three or four females should make a nice display. There are a number of smaller fish that would work too.

Byron.

While I've had luck with my angels, I'd go with Byron on this one. Plus angels can get fairly large and a group of five (as byron suggests) would outgrow a 45 gallon community tank.

While I agree with the previous posts, in that size of tank, you could put around 6 juvenile angels. Its fairly easy to spot a pair that have bonded before they get too large. As long as you are prepared to rehome the others then it should be relatively easy to keep a pair of angels.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back