Angelfish Pairing

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

kribensis12

I know where you live
Reaction score
Hello,

I have 5 angelfish juveniles that I am hoping to have pair off (looking for a 6th, but quality (see healthy) ones can be hard to find around here.

Two of them are more established in my tank (2 months) and the other three have been in my tank for 2 weeks. So far, they are doing very well - there is no aggression and they seem to enjoy one another's company.

My question is: at what size do they typically begin to pair off? I have done some googling and have been unsuccessful in finding a "generally, at ___ size".

Anyone with experience have some input?

The two established juvi's are at about quarter (maybe slightly larger) body size and the 3 others are closer to in between nickel and quarter sized.

Hello,

I have 5 angelfish juveniles that I am hoping to have pair off (looking for a 6th, but quality (see healthy) ones can be hard to find around here.

Two of them are more established in my tank (2 months) and the other three have been in my tank for 2 weeks. So far, they are doing very well - there is no aggression and they seem to enjoy one another's company.

My question is: at what size do they typically begin to pair off? I have done some googling and have been unsuccessful in finding a "generally, at ___ size".

Anyone with experience have some input?

The two established juvi's are at about quarter (maybe slightly larger) body size and the 3 others are closer to in between nickel and quarter sized.
Why size are they inches please for non US members
I think your looking around the three inch mark before breeding may start but have you sexed the fish to know you hve males and females ? It’s luck really they may never pair off the bigger the group the better the chances but sometimes some fish don’t don’t like the look of the other fish lol

Why size are they inches please for non US members
I think your looking around the three inch mark before breeding may start but have you sexed the fish to know you hve males and females ? It’s luck really they may never pair off the bigger the group the better the chances but sometimes some fish don’t don’t like the look of the other fish lol
DenominationValueWeightDiameter (Width)ThicknessComposition
Penny$0.012.5 grams (0.088 oz)0.75 in (19.05 mm)1.52 mmCopper Plated Zinc
Nickel$0.055 grams (0.176 oz)0.835 in (21.21 mm)1.95 mmCupro-Nickel
Dime$0.102.268 grams (0.08 oz)0.705 in (17.91 mm)1.35 mmCupro-Nickel
Quarter$0.255.67 grams (0.2 oz)0.955 in (24.26 mm)1.75 mmCupro-Nickel
Half Dollar$0.5011.34 grams (0.40 oz)1.205 in. (30.61mm)2.15 mmCupro-Nickel
Dollar Coin$1.008.1 grams (0.286 oz)1.043 in. (26.49 mm)2.00 mmManganese-Brass

here, this will help

DenominationValueWeightDiameter (Width)ThicknessComposition
Penny$0.012.5 grams (0.088 oz)0.75 in (19.05 mm)1.52 mmCopper Plated Zinc
Nickel$0.055 grams (0.176 oz)0.835 in (21.21 mm)1.95 mmCupro-Nickel
Dime$0.102.268 grams (0.08 oz)0.705 in (17.91 mm)1.35 mmCupro-Nickel
Quarter$0.255.67 grams (0.2 oz)0.955 in (24.26 mm)1.75 mmCupro-Nickel
Half Dollar$0.5011.34 grams (0.40 oz)1.205 in. (30.61mm)2.15 mmCupro-Nickel
Dollar Coin$1.008.1 grams (0.286 oz)1.043 in. (26.49 mm)2.00 mmManganese-Brass

here, this will help
Oh so they tiny lol

Thanks for the conversion chart; I often forget that a majority of the members of this forum are not based in the U.S. (at least, they did not used to be).

Yes; they are most certainly juvenile. I can attach pictures if that would be helpful.

I expect several months before they become sexually mature at least; I'm just hoping for a general window of time --> so that I can make sure I'm observing/interpreting their behavior correctly.

Three inches seems to me to be a very large angelfish - I feel that I have seen many paired angelfish that are much smaller.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks for the conversion chart; I often forget that a majority of the members of this forum are not based in the U.S. (at least, they did not used to be).

Yes; they are most certainly juvenile. I can attach pictures if that would be helpful.

I expect several months before they become sexually mature at least; I'm just hoping for a general window of time --> so that I can make sure I'm observing/interpreting their behavior correctly.

Three inches seems to me to be a very large angelfish - I feel that I have seen many paired angelfish that are much smaller.

Any other thoughts?
3inches is roughly half size of an angle fish and not yet fully mature if you get a pair at 3 inches I’d say that’s a result I wouldn’t be expecting to see pairing before that to be honest

So I am going to clarify - I think there may be a miscommunication.

In the angelfish industry, referring to dime, nickel, quarter and half dollar sizes is a direct comparison of the body size of the fish - that does not include fins.

So @Guyb93 - a 3 inch body size of the angelfish is much different than a 3 inch angelfish including the fins.

In the angelfish industry, referring to dime, nickel, quarter and half dollar sizes is a direct comparison of the body size of the fish - that does not include fins.

So @Guyb93 - a 3 inch body size of the angelfish is much different than a 3 inch angelfish including the fins.

Interesting, it makes sense
I would be Misled though lol here in the uk Iv often saw anglefish sized by length and height so say 4x4 just because they can be as tall as they are long

These guys are just kids. 3-4 inches they may start to show some interest. More importantly about 18 months old. Don't expect them to start spawning in the first year.

These guys are just kids. 3-4 inches they may start to show some interest. More importantly about 18 months old. Don't expect them to start spawning in the first year.
Thanks for your input. I did find a really helpful article by angelsplus.com (based in New York).

Angelfish Breeding

Seems like based on that article, we're looking at least 12 months old. I would suspect that what I currently have are in the 4-7 month age range.

By no means an expert but... Depends on their age, normally about 8-12 months is sexual maturity, they can pair off early.
A few years back I picked up 5 Angels (quarter body size), with the idea of getting a pair. Well it worked out. With mine the largest female decided to choose her mate after about 8 months then spawned after 2 months. The new parents ate the first 4 spawns. Finally on their 5th try I had wigglers. I did get a few fry but could not get past the 2 week mark. Ended up selling the pair at a club auction.

angel pair.jpg

Good Luck!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back