Angelfish Being Nipped - Going Away On Sunday.

Luketendo

BLENNY :O
Reaction score
Ok well today I have woken up to find my angelfish (2 of them) have been nipped on the tail. I don't know what's done it really.

The fish in the tank (60L) are:

2 Angelfish (small)
1 Pearl Gourami (female)
1 Yo Yo Loach
6 Silver Tip Tetra
6 Cherry Barbs
1 Zebra Danio
1 American Flagfish

Take note I'm upgrading to a Juwel Lido after christmas.

My smaller angelfish seems to always have white stringy stuff on the feelers, what is this?
How should I treat these problems? Taking note I'm away Sunday to Thursday, of course I can dose on Sunday and Thursday but I'm not sure if the 3 days in-between would render to treatment useless.

Oh, and I'm going to the fish shop tomorrow.

the white stringy stuff i've read about (i cant remember were though) and it said lots of people have this problem.
anyway is it just the angles being nipped? is there any fish in the tank that the others swim away from? are the angles fighting?

Okay luke i know you dont have a hospital tank but i would sugest having one, that way you could isolate them for their safety, and is the nippinng continues then its the angles fighting. another option is to use a big floating breeding trap to keep them away from the others but it would stress them alot being in a small space.
taking into acount of you going away you cant use melafix or pimafix as these breakdown over 24 hours (hense why these HAVE to be added ever 24hours).

i know your going to hate me for this as you explained why you dont want any more danios but they are a sholling fish and like to be in a sholl (i dont like the minnows, due to their small size and lack of colour variation but i gave him 6 new tank mates yesterday, and it has made a big difference to his attitude. hes swmining with them all and not just swiming in one place) but its up to you.

none of the fish in your tank are overly agressive, but barbs do have a rep for fin-nippinng but this is usualy over come by having more than 6 in a tank (im going for 15 because they look nice and they dont nip other breeds of fishs fins) and then the more or less only nip one another (well they do for me).
using an anti bacteial med that aids healing would be usefull as it could help the heal and prevent infection.
could you get adam to do the dosing if you used melafix?

and now the obvious question:
  • PH -
  • Ammonia -
  • NitrIte -
  • NitrAte -
  • KH -
  • GH -
hope they get better and it was an only one off.

Going to get some Melafix and Pimafix after christmas then.

Going to cost a bomb.

Moved the angels to a 9g with black neons and phantoms for healing, the tetras have just had whitespot a week or two ago and could do with some healing too.

Hi there... sorry to hear about your problem. I had a thought about the nipping issue you have in your tank. In such a small tank, you may find certain fish becoming more aggressive especially barbs (even in shoals), staking there claim over the tank.

I also have angels and was advised by my LFS that barbs of any sort were not good as they are notoriously nippy. I think they are more thank likely the culprits.

I think it would be best to keep the angels separated until you have cycled the new upgrade tank, although I doubt a 9g with other fish already in it would be appropriate.

I would pick up a divider to seperate the angels from the rest of the fish. The white stringyness could be an increase in the slime produced, which would go along with ick or being nipped.

oh yeah, tell me how it all goes with the set up.
if you need a hand just give me a shout, im good for a few hours or so :lol: .
anyway have fun setting in up and dont let your media dry out or.... Cycling, which is not fun at all (no fish in the tank :-( )
c'ya at school and get well soon mr/mrs angle

Dan

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back