Anemones

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ok i added 2 more pictures , 1 pic is when it is fully closed . Kinda looks like a slug lol . http://cid-d95eb99eacf1d455.photos.live.com/browse.aspx/My%20Pictures?uc=2 , I hope the last 2 pics help . but i think its a -- Calliactis parasitica -- , i see a few pics their that resemble it the most , but i could be wrong .

The mouth still has me wondering about Calliactis tricolor, although that assumes the photos I've looked at over time for that species have been correctly IDed (always a possible confound for any IDing effort). At any rate, just for the sake of comparison, here are some photos that show the mouth area, which seems somewhat distinctive:

http://www.okeefes.org/Aquarium/Aqu...te/accounts/pictures/Calliactis_tricolor.html

Photos I have seen of C. parasitica haven't shown a pronounced colored ring around the mouth in the same way as yours seems to, although that may not be saying too much given the range of variation in color for both. Still, provided the genus is right, I imagine there can't be too much difference care-wise between the two.

I still havent ID'd the Anemone , been doing a lot of research . I got it some lighting and wondering if a Ultra Sun by Zoo Meds is any good . I have a 10 gallon tank filled 3/4 of the way up with a low 5 inch / 10 wat / 6500k light in it ( with clear plastic covering it from water getting on it ). its about 2 inches above the water line and i got chrome reflective wrap around the back and sides of the tank , which makes it very bright . I heard u need 1 wat per gallon and mine has about 6 1/2 to 7 gallons in it with sand about 2 inch deep . I caught mini shiners while at the beach ( well they look like shiners ) and i had about 13 and down to 9 lol in 1 week from the Anemone eating them . Feeding the fish live mini beach clams that burrow in the sand and they seem to pick at them till the clam opens up , then eats them . Anyways wondering if my lighting is fine for the amount of water in the tank . The Anemone has always stayed in 1 spot on a shell and never has the need to move to a dif spot . I have decent water flow and i hope my light is good enough . Here is what the box says on it Ultra sun by zoo med , 6500k super daylight self ballasted compact fluorscent lamp , simulates natural sunlight , brings out the full colors of your fish , fits standard medium base , excelent for use with : nano tanks , marine aquariums , planted tanks , community tanks and hermit crab tanks . That all it says and was told by the fish store that would suffice . what do you think? good enough for 6 to 7 gallons ? the right kind of lighting for a non reef tank ? will it work for my Anemone so it can make its own food it needs from the light ? ty again for your help.

p.s

i dont have tons of money for expensive lighting but the anemone seams happy but i hope the lighting is good .

Found out what kind of Anemone it is , it is a calliactis parasitica anemone . Now i can start to do dig deeper on finding more info on it and make it very happy . Just wondering now if i should get it a hermit crab for it to attatch itself to lol . if any info on my lighting , please let me know and ty .

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back