Anemones

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

knickerbocker

Reaction score
i found a anemones washed up on the beach and ive had it for 2 weeks now . Its eating well and is very active . I would like to know exactly what kind it is so i know how to take care of it the right way . http://cid-d95eb99eacf1d455.photos.live.com/albums.aspx thats a pic of it ty.

:hi: to TFF and the salty side of the forum :good:

I'm afraid I cant see from that photo, any chance of another one? Did you find it on a UK beach? If so, google beadlet and see if it matches your nem.

If it is a beadlet, they are easy to keep

Seffie x

i found it on the indialantic beach of Florida ( east coast ) , it was attached to a piece of cream colored seaweed that had washed up on the beach . Every time i tried to put it back in the ocean , it kept washing back up on the beach . I did not want to see it die so since i have a salt water aquarium , i took it home and put in in their . I only use ocean water for my aquarium so i do not have to mix my water like most do . Its easier just to drive to the ocean with my many gallons of empty bottles and get use the sea water . The Anemone is tan brown with dark brown stripes with chocolate fingers ( that`s what i call them lol ) , its shaft is about 2 1/2 inches tall when fully stretched out and about a 25 cent piece round . Its mouth is pink , purple and yellowish orange . The picture i gave the link to is the best pic i can get with the camera i have , try to click it a few times to enlarge it then copy the picture and save it to enlarge it more on your computer to see it better . I fed it a 1 inch fish i caught with my net at the beach and it ate it fast and kept it down and did not spit it out . It likes to sit on a shell i have in the water and it seems very happy . I do not have fish in the tank , only have small clams and a 5 sand fleas in the tank with 1 triangle crab ( smaller than a dime ) and 3 very small jelly fish that is almost naked to the eye lol . Also i have some small shrimp with other Crustaceans that r very small in the tank . I also have some sea slugs ( 2 dif kind ( very small ) . I heard they can eat crustaceans and small fish and they get food from light . I just want to keep it happy and try to give it a good home . If i left it their on the beach , even though i kept trying to put it back in the water , it woulda kept washing back up and eventually died . So my heart went out to the little creature so i took it home . If anyone can please tell me what kind it is , it wil be a big help to me so i can do more research on it and keep it healthy and happy . Ohh and people say they split ? When they spit , dose that mean it becomes 2 ? If so that would be cool lol . well ty u all again

Darnit - I'm almost positive that saw the species name for these somewhere when I was trying to ID some Bunodosoma nems that are from a similar range. I'll have a check to see if I can refind whatever source I was looking at for these nems.

ahh i hope u can find it , it would be tons of help . ive been searching for 2 weeks now non stop lol . ty

Apparently the match wasn't as exact as I was remembering. Still, my first guess would be somewhere in the genus Calliactis. Maybe C. tricolor, but there are several from that area.

Plumose Anemone-Metridium senile...

A pic from the top might help clarify if I'm missing something, but I am not seeing the usual branching appearance from the photo. I have also never seen one of that species showing stripes on the column, although color is, of course, highly variable in anemones. Have you seen other M. senile individuals with this kind of coloration?

I’m more than 75% positive. I can almost pick out a collar-like ring near the top, and this specific one seems to have split…this stripe you’re seeing appears to be two infused Plumose Anemones. The middle of the two columns created a vertical indent from the infused columns making it appear to be some form of striping pattern. They definitely come in many color variants, and can be found attached to objects drifting among the current/shore. Are seen in the Florida waters as well. These have the elongated columns with multitude of thin tentacles on one plume. I will do some researching…for other possible species.

Edit: Please, take a picture from the top view while it's fully extended.

this stripe you’re seeing appears to be two infused Plumose Anemones.

Either I'm misunderstanding or not seeing what you're referring to. I see three colored bands in the photo with speckles between them; it looks like a continuous, single animal to me, but the OP will have to clarify.

hello again i have added a 2nd picture , just click on the link and then click on the pic , it will take you to 2 pictures . 1 of the pictures is a top view with it open .http://cid-d95eb99eacf1d455.photos.live.com/ . i hope it helps cause my camera is not very good .

http://cid-d95eb99eacf1d455.photos.live.com/browse.aspx/My%20Pictures

could it be a ( parasitic Anemone ) i found a few pics that resemble it , google that name and see if that is it .

I thought you were referring to that dark line in the middle...lengthwise as a stripe. I was saying it looks like there are two different columns. This species I'm talking about can divide lengthwise, and can regenerate from pieces left behind from their pedal disk. this particular one, seems it may have been trying to split, and is infused at the moment. I could be wrong, it's just my take from the picture that is provided.

Judging from your newly updated picture...I now believe to be completely wrong ha. We need some other opinions in this particular post :crazy:

Most reactions

trending

Back